Default Kids Say the Darndest Things

On 2/22/2018 1:26 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 07:25:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Here's a weird one. In Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states, a
15 year old can legally purchase and own a long gun with his/her
parent's permission.

If the parents are OK with it, can't a kid have any gun they want at
any age? Who is going to stop them?
I had my first shotgun at 14-15 when I started to hunt but I had a .22
for years before that. I suppose technically it was my dad's, handed
down from my grandfather but I had free access to it and they sold
ammo at the 7-11.

I did not own / buy a firearm until I was married. Why buy, when dad had
any I wanted to use. As a kid, we would go to the government range in the
hills around the range master was a friend of my dad, and just use dad’s
guns. I was under 16, so my brother drove.

I never wanted a firearm while we were raising kids in the house. Never
wanted one, even after our home was broken into one day and items
stolen. I was never interested in hunting (still am not). I suppose if
we had lived in an area of the country where rifles and guns were a part
of life it may have been different.

I got a permit when I opened the guitar shop at the suggestion of my
lawyer friend because I often carried large amounts of cash on me and
the shop was often visited by people unknown to me and sometimes acting
strangely. I remember the day the lawyer made his recommendation. He
happened to be in the shop when it was visited by a couple of guys. One
stayed in the parking lot in their car with the engine running. The
other came in, sorta scoped out the place but left when several other
"regulars" showed up.

After I received the permit I joined a club with a shooting range and
went often. Bought several various revolvers, pistols and rifles but
after a while I got tired of shooting holes in paper targets. Still
have a .22 Ruger rifle, a shotgun, a revolver and three pistols but I'll
probably get rid of all but the revolver and one pistol soon. Rarely
carry and I just don't have much interest in them.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:36:06 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

I’ve dropped many dear ( head shot) with .223

I bet that thought keeps your wife in line ;-)
I bet you meant deer
Tim Tim is offline

2:25
wrote:

I’ve dropped many dear ( head shot) with .223

I bet that thought keeps your wife in line ;-)
I bet you meant deer

Courtesy of auto-correct, I’d say your right.🙄

wrote:

Here's a weird one. In Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states, a
15 year old can legally purchase and own a long gun with his/her
parent's permission.

If the parents are OK with it, can't a kid have any gun they want at
any age? Who is going to stop them?
I had my first shotgun at 14-15 when I started to hunt but I had a .22
for years before that. I suppose technically it was my dad's, handed
down from my grandfather but I had free access to it and they sold
ammo at the 7-11.

Fortunately, most parents I know personally have more smarts and a sense
of responsibility to allow their kids at any minor age to own guns.

That is Acela corridor thinking again and big city thinking at that.
In the early 60s hunting was a thing most of my friends did before
they could drive and this was just outside of DC in PG county.
Like I said, the 7-11 sold shotgun shells and .22s
I am sure that sounds strange today but you could walk in the woods
all the way from the DC line behind Eastover shopping center and
Forest Heights to the river, down past where National Harbor is now
and never see a thing but woods. That was 4 or 5 square miles
contiguous with the woods behind my house before they built the
interstate. Typically we did not really do much hunting east of 210
but there were some good quail and rabbit fields before you got there,
pretty much where the right of way for I-495 is now. West of 210 there
was just about anything you could expect to find in Maryland.
The strange thing is there is still a pretty big undeveloped parcel
down there right now.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:24:15 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/22/2018 12:33 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 07:45:34 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

How many schools have had innocent children killed with bare hands or feet?

Again you are just talking about what makes the news. During that same
5 year period tens of thousands of black "kids" were killed with
handguns.
BTW do you really think that if there were no AR 15s, there would be
no more school shootings? It is just that this is the most popular
rifle sold here.
And what happened to all of those AK-47s that were going to kill us
all 20 years ago? Do you think they disappeared? There are around 4-5
million of them here, 2 million added to the inventory during the
phony "ban" ("loophole" guns with a thumbhole stock). The AR people
just had a better marketing campaign and it is actually a superior
firearm. Once people got over all the myths and nam stories and got
those AKs in their hands they figured out they were **** but they can
still get a lot of lead downrange very fast.

I also noticed Columbine was not on your list. Those boys used 9mms (a
Tec 9 and a "tactical" rifle like Harry's) and shotguns.

The source of the data I posted was specifically related to AR-15 type
weapons.

.... and you ignored the ones that did not fit your rant. Are you sure
you are not a Democrat?

On 2/22/2018 3:46 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:24:15 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No Greg. I simply searched for what type of firearm is used most often
in these mass shootings. The answer is the AK-15 look a-likes.

Question for you and I don't mean to be personal so no need to answer if
you don't want to. I can't remember. Do you have kids?

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:02:35 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/22/2018 3:46 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:24:15 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

A daughter and yes I kept my guns locked up. In Maryland, no kids I
bet my ex still has her 1100 under the bed and loaded with 6.

On 2/22/2018 3:45 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:21:01 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are plenty people who hunt in Massachusetts and the areas we've
lived in are probably more heavily wooded than your experience in
Maryland. The last house I lived in with my parents as a kid was
surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of woods and undeveloped land.

I still don't know of any parent I know who would allow a minor child to
have his/her very own gun. BB guns, yes. Firearms ... no.

Bye Bye, Kids! Capt. Rob ASA 1 July 8th 06 07:43 AM
Later, Kids... Bobsprit ASA 4 June 30th 04 01:25 PM
Later, Kids! Bobsprit ASA 0 June 18th 04 06:04 PM
Bye Kids! Bobsprit ASA 6 September 6th 03 12:47 PM