Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
G Q

Default Q:Diesel Engine maintenance when out of service

I'm looking at a boat purchase. The boat has two large 200 KW 1400rpm
(cruising speed) diesels with 3000 hours on each. The problem I see is
that they have not been used at all for almost three years. The owner
claims the engines were turned manually, that he looked after them and
that they are just fine. The boat has been out of the water for about
half the time of engine disuse. What I've heard (but I'm no
professional) is that you need to run diesels for at least a number of
hours per week to keep them in good shape. So, is it still even worth
the expense of sending over an engine professional to check out these
engines, or should I forget about it? Your advice/insight is
appreciated!