BoatBanter.com

-   -   Hydraulic steering seizing remedies please (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1767-hydraulic-steering-seizing-remedies-please.html)

Chester October 28th 03 01:59 PM

Hydraulic steering seizing remedies please

I have owned two outboard boats with the hydraulic steering setup ;
the last one seized up and was always way too stiff after that. My
current boat I had not used it for about 3 weeks and when I went to
put it away for the winter, viola, it was seized. I managed to free
it up and it is not too stiff now. But before putting it away for the
winter how can I prevent that nastieness come spring time ?

Do leave the piston thingy out or in , do lubricate it or what
should I do ? The boat goes into an old barn and I wont be able to
access it till spring. Thanks alot for any help.

Jack Rye October 28th 03 07:11 PM

Hydraulic steering seizing remedies please

Hydraulic steering systems should be topped off and marine grease applied to
cylinder ram to prevent corrosion and pitting.

Jack
om...