BoatBanter.com

-   -   racing software (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/17578-racing-software.html)

[email protected] May 17th 04 07:44 PM

racing software

are there any sailboat racing software programs that one can download
from the net for a trial period ? i have read a few reviews of racing
programs but they so expensive. i am looking for something thta can
easily be run off a laptop and indicates; lay lines, time to laylines,
wind shifts[if hooked to one's instrument package] secondly, what
cable connects from laptop to instrument package]
sincerely, a cruiser who wants to race faster. colin

Tom Shilson May 18th 04 03:16 AM

racing software

wrote:

are there any sailboat racing software programs that one can download
from the net for a trial period ? i have read a few reviews of racing
programs but they so expensive. i am looking for something thta can
easily be run off a laptop and indicates; lay lines, time to laylines,
wind shifts[if hooked to one's instrument package] secondly, what
cable connects from laptop to instrument package]
sincerely, a cruiser who wants to race faster. colin

I can't speak to the racing programs. I would look in a sailing
magazine for ads then go to their websites. Google helps a lot at
looking for things on the web.

Connecting a laptop to the instruments may not be as simple as a cable.
You may need to purchase a module for the computer connection and
that may be quite pricey. Check with the maker of the instruments.

If you want to be a better skipper try sailing with only a compass.
Feel the wind shifts, the changes in boat direction. Watch the other
boats, flags on land, puffs on the water, etc. I am not being a Zen
freak here. It is just that you can learn these things without all the
instruments. Then you can step up to using the instruments. Leaning
these will make you a better cruiser, too.

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

Willem Amels May 18th 04 08:21 PM

racing software

wrote in :

Hello Colin,

Have a look at
http://www.nauticis.com/download/novasail.zip
This is a private project I am working on and does all of the desired
stuff for racing

Willem

NoOp May 19th 04 10:12 PM

racing software

Willem Amels wrote:

wrote in :

Hello Colin,

Have a look at
http://www.nauticis.com/download/novasail.zip
This is a private project I am working on and does all of the desired
stuff for racing

Willem

Be aware it's an 8.4Mb download:
Novasail 0.9