BoatBanter.com

-   -   Wanted: DN Sail for Donation or cheap for BSA Troop (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/17537-wanted-dn-sail-donation-cheap-bsa-troop.html)

Rob February 23rd 04 02:30 PM

Wanted: DN Sail for Donation or cheap for BSA Troop

WANTED: DN Sail for BSA Troop 76, Plainville, CT
Condition: Won't Rip at first use
Price: Cheap as possible
Contact info: Email oe leave message at
860-747-8022 or 860-747-5744
Long story: One of our boys came to a meeting 3 years ago. He had
bought an 'iceboat' at a tag sale for $5. His dad said "get rid of
all that junk". Being sailing nuts, the leaders dragged all the stuff
home. We ended up with a DN hull, no plank, many runners, a few spars
and a sail. Using hardware-store bits and a 2x10 plank, we got up on
runners. First year - terrible weather. Distance travelled - 0.
Being paranoid Scout leaders, we set it up with a small conventional
sail so the boys wouldn't kill themselves. Too much snow - distance
travelled - 10 feet. This year - set it up with the full-size sail.
Saturday - no wind. Sunday - 15 mph with gusts. Hans goes to the
lake at the crack of dawn, comes back 1/2 hour later (we were camping
in a cabin) with the sail tucked under his arm. Distance? 1/4
mile!!!! Woohoo!!!!! He set out (with no witnesses), accelerated
nicely, jibed without killing himself and started sheeting in. His
words,"I was heading for 30mph when the lowest batten fell on my
shoulder". *sigh* Anybody got a sail? Thanks - Rob.