BoatBanter.com

-   -   Alternative to Photobucket (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/174753-alternative-photobucket.html)

Poco Deplorevole June 26th 17 03:33 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

That place has gone to ****.

Anyone using an alternative that doesn't require a masters in Computer Science? I'd just like to be
able to put a picture there every so often and then be able to link to it.

Thanks!

Mr. Luddite June 26th 17 04:01 PM

On 6/26/2017 10:33 AM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
That place has gone to ****.

Anyone using an alternative that doesn't require a masters in Computer Science? I'd just like to be
able to put a picture there every so often and then be able to link to it.

Thanks!

John, I 100% agree with you regarding Photobucket. It has become a
nightmare to use.

I tried "Shutterfly". Not as bad but still a bit convoluted.

I just discovered that "TinyPic" (might be part of TinyURL) has free
picture and video postings and I tried it. You have to respond to and
type the response to a simple question that they use to filter out bots,
but it's fast and easy. You can select from different sizes for the
uploaded image
and it provides you with the URL link for various ways to share it.
You don't have to register or "join" either. Just follow the directions at:

http://tinypic.com/

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 26th 17 04:12 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:01:14 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

For the price of a couple of Starbucks a month you can have your own
web space. Then you are not beholden to anyone, you can host whatever
you want there (pictures, HTML, video, cloud storage or whatever) and
your friends are not "the product" when they look at your stuff.

Wayne.B June 26th 17 04:21 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:33:29 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

That place has gone to ****.

Anyone using an alternative that doesn't require a masters in Computer Science? I'd just like to be
able to put a picture there every so often and then be able to link to it.

Thanks!

===

Dropbox works well for me and it can be used to share things other
than pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktoz0sbvl7glqm7/Big%20Tarpon%20Jumping.jpg?dl=0

Mr. Luddite June 26th 17 04:29 PM

wrote:

[...]

What's nice about this tinypic site is that you don't have to "join",
have a user name or a password to remember and it's free. Just go to
the URL I posted, follow the directions and your done. In fact, I just
uploaded a second pic and it didn't even ask the anti-bot question.

It must record your ISP because when I uploaded the second image it also
displayed the first image that I had uploaded under "last three uploads".

Here's a link to the third image I just uploaded:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2dqucfn.jpg

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 26th 17 04:36 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

wrote:

[...]

It probably stores a tracking cookie on your machine.

Mr. Luddite June 26th 17 04:43 PM

On 6/26/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:29:58 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Doesn't just about every website you visit?
Cookie's are not necessarily bad.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 26th 17 04:47 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:43:11 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

It probably stores a tracking cookie on your machine.

Doesn't just about every website you visit?
Cookie's are not necessarily bad.

I was just explaining how they knew who you were, along with everyone
else who wants to know.

Poco Deplorevole June 26th 17 05:17 PM

[...]

Cool. Thanks. Let's see if it works.

http://tinypic.com/r/i52l1s/9

Tim June 26th 17 06:00 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

11:18 AMPoco Deplorevole
Cool. Thanks. Let's see if it works.

http://tinypic.com/r/i52l1s/9

It came through for me...

Mr. Luddite June 26th 17 07:28 PM

On 6/26/2017 12:17 PM, Poco Deplorevole wrote:
[...]

Worked fine. Here's something else you can do. When it displays your
image with all the URL options on the left side, click on your image
and then on the "raw image" at the bottom. It will now display your
image without all the TinyPic stuff. If you then right click on the
image, then on "Copy image location" it will copy that URL into your
clipboard. If you use that URL, your image will be displayed without
any TinyPic stuff on it. It will look like this:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/154j43m.jpg

Poco Deplorevole June 26th 17 07:43 PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:28:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

[...]

We'll see...

http://oi63.tinypic.com/154j43m.jpg

RGrew176 June 27th 17 10:31 AM

Alternative to Photobucket

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

[email protected] June 27th 17 04:21 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 02:31:23 -0700 (PDT), RGrew176
wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

Keyser Soze June 27th 17 04:33 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

Photo taken at recent bluegrass festival:

http://tinyurl.com/y7yy2sxo

[email protected] June 27th 17 04:50 PM

Alternative to Photobucket

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:33:48 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

This has nothing to do with "poking around on your server".
It is all about having your own private web space. You can partition
that to various levels of password protection if you want but it still
has nothing to do with my home network beyond one "upload" directory
.... that could be on a thumb stick.

Wayne.B June 27th 17 05:02 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

Photo taken at recent bluegrass festival:

http://tinyurl.com/y7yy2sxo

===

Which one is you Harree?

John H[_2_] June 27th 17 06:27 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

So where is this web space thingy?

True North[_2_] June 27th 17 06:58 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

Photo taken at recent bluegrass festival:

http://tinyurl.com/y7yy2sxo

Let me guess....the tall skinny guy is our John?

John H[_2_] June 27th 17 07:03 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

Photo taken at recent bluegrass festival:

http://tinyurl.com/y7yy2sxo

Let me guess....the tall skinny guy is our John?

Did he ask if you had any principles? Did he wonder if your religious upbringing was 'child abuse'
as your BFF suggests?

Mr. Luddite June 27th 17 09:59 PM

wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

So where is this web space thingy?

Greg is recommending getting a domain name and a personal website.

There are some "free" ones ... like "Wix" but they have ads and are a
pain. When I had the guitar shop I paid for a website through Wix.
I don't recommend it. Once you have it, it's almost impossible to
cancel your account. I fought through that and finally succeeded but a
3 years later they charged my credit card to renew the domain name which
I didn't ask for.

There are probably better ones you can pay to have. Just don't
recommend Wix. For me, the TinyPic site works just fine and you don't
even have to have an account.

---
http://www.avg.com

John H[_2_] June 27th 17 10:29 PM

wrote:

[...]

I think the tinypic site is pretty damn cool. Thanks again!

Bill[_12_] June 27th 17 11:57 PM

justan wrote:
wrote:

I've been using TinyPic for years. Sometimes it glitches but most of
the time it works well.

If you guys tried web space, you would never use those ad sites again.
All I do is drag a file to the upload folder and hit scan or just
right click it and hit upload.

I have a personal server with eight terabytes of space spread across
four hard drives. I store all sorts of files there, including photos,
music, videos, and of course work output. I use an outside server to
stash photos I want to share. I wouldn't want any of the assholes here
(you're not in that group) poking around my personal server, or trying
to poke around it.

Photo taken at recent bluegrass festival:

http://tinyurl.com/y7yy2sxo

The kind of stuff you download shouldn't be made available to the
public.

Probably Harry family reunion.