BoatBanter.com

-   -   From the 18th Century... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/169030-18th-century.html)

Keyser Söze September 30th 15 08:57 PM

From the 18th Century...

On October 20, 1792, George Washington made the following statement in a
letter sent to Edward Newenham.

"Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind those which are
caused by a difference of sentiment in Religion appear to be the most
inveterate and distressing and ought most to be deprecated. I was in
hopes that the enlightened & liberal policy which has marked the present
age would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so
far that we should never again see their religious disputes carried to
such a pitch as to endanger the peace of Society."

Gosh, one can only wonder what the father of the country would think and
say about today's christian republican conservatives.

John H.[_5_] September 30th 15 10:36 PM

From the 18th Century...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:57:18 -0400, Keyser Söze wrote:

On October 20, 1792, George Washington made the following statement in a
letter sent to Edward Newenham.

"Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind those which are
caused by a difference of sentiment in Religion appear to be the most
inveterate and distressing and ought most to be deprecated. I was in
hopes that the enlightened & liberal policy which has marked the present
age would at least have reconciled Christians of every denomination so
far that we should never again see their religious disputes carried to
such a pitch as to endanger the peace of Society."

Gosh, one can only wonder what the father of the country would think and
say about today's christian republican conservatives.

George Washington wasn't a known liar either, eh krause?
--

Ban idiots, not guns!