BoatBanter.com

-   -   Loran vs GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1675-loran-vs-gps.html)

mark s October 20th 03 05:17 PM

Loran vs GPS

I just bought a boat that is equipped with (Eagle) LoranCE w/ built in
fishfinder. I'm not sure of the age of these electronics, but they
are already installed and functional. I have a modern fishfinder and
a handheld GPS (RAM mount) which I prefer to use in this boat.
I just wanted to get some opinions and hear some pluses and minuses...
Do you think I should keep the existing gear in the boat and use it in
conjunction with the new gear? (Could mount the 2nd sonar at the rear
of the boat.) Or would I be better off reducing clutter and get rid
of this equipment, and just use the modern electronics?

(Is Loran being phased out? I heard the towers are not being
maintained.)

-Mark

otnmbrd October 20th 03 06:06 PM

Loran vs GPS

It will end up being a personal choice .... As long as the older gear is
functional, the "clutter" isn't too serious, and your system can handle
the power needs, MORE, can be better.
As for LORAN, I keep hearing varying reports, from phase out to
modernization. I think the military is inclined towards modernization.

otn

Birdog October 20th 03 06:30 PM

Loran vs GPS

hello
personally i`d get rid of the loran, its not as accurate as the gps and
they can be a sod to get working on the stations sometimes and with desk
mounted gps starting at around £200, much easier to work.
i know the navy still buy loran on the off chance that all the gps
satelites fall from the sky, aint that likely though.

regards

FishFan October 24th 03 01:31 AM

Loran vs GPS

(mark s) wrote in message om...
I just bought a boat that is equipped with (Eagle) LoranCE w/ built in
fishfinder. I'm not sure of the age of these electronics, but they
are already installed and functional. I have a modern fishfinder and
a handheld GPS (RAM mount) which I prefer to use in this boat.
I just wanted to get some opinions and hear some pluses and minuses...
Do you think I should keep the existing gear in the boat and use it in
conjunction with the new gear? (Could mount the 2nd sonar at the rear
of the boat.) Or would I be better off reducing clutter and get rid
of this equipment, and just use the modern electronics?

(Is Loran being phased out? I heard the towers are not being
maintained.)

-Mark

I bought a boat with the same set-up last year and was unhappy with
both parts of the system. Replaced it w/ two seperate Garmins, the 162
Chart Plotter and the 162 FishFinder and I'm very happy with them
both.

I think Loran phases out starting in 08, although there has been talk
of accelerating it to 05.

FishFan

Paul November 4th 03 12:55 AM

Loran vs GPS

My friend has a Loran unit installed but uses GPS. It's interesting to
cruise and compare the two units. The Loran is "not bad" for accuracy but I
wouldn't want to rely on it to navigate a channel in the fog.

I think he is wise to keep the unit. It's already installed and if for
whatever reason he has a failure of his GPS he can still direct assistance
to his location.

wrote in message
On 20 Oct 2003 09:17:25 -0700, (mark s) wrote:

I just bought a boat that is equipped with (Eagle) LoranCE w/ built in
fishfinder. I'm not sure of the age of these electronics, but they
are already installed and functional. I have a modern fishfinder and
a handheld GPS (RAM mount) which I prefer to use in this boat.
I just wanted to get some opinions and hear some pluses and minuses...
Do you think I should keep the existing gear in the boat and use it in
conjunction with the new gear? (Could mount the 2nd sonar at the rear
of the boat.) Or would I be better off reducing clutter and get rid
of this equipment, and just use the modern electronics?

(Is Loran being phased out? I heard the towers are not being
maintained.)

loran will be around for a few years yet. it was supposed to be phased
out shortly, but has been given an extended lease on life.

to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field