BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tablet vs gps (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/163709-tablet-vs-gps.html)

[email protected] March 22nd 15 09:52 PM

Tablet vs gps

lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

Keyser Söze March 22nd 15 09:56 PM

Tablet vs gps

On 3/22/15 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

Many of the decent "GPS" devices for boaters have screens that can be
read in bright sunlight and are water resistant, two attributes missing
from most tablets or cell phones with GPS features.

--
Proud to be a Liberal.

Mr. Luddite March 22nd 15 10:00 PM

Tablet vs gps

On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:

lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

For marine navigation I'd want a GPS/Chartplotter. I don't know what
kind of tablet type applications or software is available for that.
The few I've seen were road maps for driving cars. I haven't
specifically looked for a tablet type Chartplotter.

Mr. Luddite March 22nd 15 10:07 PM

Tablet vs gps

On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I
happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

John H.[_5_] March 22nd 15 10:09 PM

Tablet vs gps

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 14:52:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

The last one I had on the boat was a GPS/Depth/Fish finder. It came with the boat,
and at first I didn't think I'd like the combo unit. Found I liked it quite well. In
the truck I use the GPS, although my wife will find the cheap diesel places with her
smart phone and apps.
--

Guns don't cause problems.
Gun owner behavior causes problems.

[email protected] March 23rd 15 12:23 AM

Tablet vs gps

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 6:07:12 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I
happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

I have Navionics, and it does a good job.

Wayne.B March 23rd 15 01:28 AM

Tablet vs gps

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:07:12 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I
happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

===

I have Navionics on two different smart phones. It's a decent
charting app and a good value - all the charts for the US, Bahamas and
Caribbean for about $15. For my lap top I still prefer OpenCPN
however. It's much better for laying out courses in advance and then
following them underway.

On our Searay and in the dinghy I put a smartphone in a ziploc baggie
and use Navionics. The smartphone does not even need to be
enabled/registred if you download the charts in advance with a wifi
connection.

Califbill March 23rd 15 01:51 AM

Tablet vs gps

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with
apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

My chart plotter /sonar is much better than running an iPad on the boat.
Mounts to the dash, water proof. Has connections to run to a MMSI radio,
etc. I think the iPad wifi, no phone does not have a GPS built in. So
another connection.

Mr. Luddite March 23rd 15 03:22 AM

Tablet vs gps

On 3/22/2015 9:51 PM, Califbill wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 3/22/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:
lots of folks seem to be moving away from dedicated gps to tablets with
apps. Any opinions?

You got me curious, so I looked up a chartplotter for an iPad (since I happen to have one).

This one is running Navionics. People seem to be impressed with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9gJ4mo9BE

My chart plotter /sonar is much better than running an iPad on the boat.
Mounts to the dash, water proof. Has connections to run to a MMSI radio,
etc. I think the iPad wifi, no phone does not have a GPS built in. So
another connection.

The iPad I have has a GPS built in. As the guy in the video explained
it will receive the GPS signal and work with Navionics even if you don't
have a 3G connection or have it shut off. That's how I understood what
he said.

I am going to look into it further. Might finally have a use for the
iPad. For the boat I'll be interested in the iPad doesn't need to be
waterproof.

Wayne.B March 23rd 15 11:00 AM

Tablet vs gps

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:22:42 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

The iPad I have has a GPS built in. As the guy in the video explained
it will receive the GPS signal and work with Navionics even if you don't
have a 3G connection or have it shut off. That's how I understood what
he said.

===

That's the way Navionics on my smartphone works as long as you've
downloaded the charts you need in advance. I do that at home on my
wifi connection by going to the areas I'm interested in and zooming in
for maximum detail. After that, the charts for that area are
permanently stored.