BoatBanter.com

-   -   Merc 50 mods (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1632-merc-50-mods.html)

Mad Dog October 17th 03 11:06 PM

Merc 50 mods

I have a Mercury Classic 50 inline 4-cylinder 2-cycle O/B motor,
not that i want to but if i did are there any mods. to be performed on this
motor to increase power.
I am new to boating but old to the hot-rod scene so curiosity has me,
if this motor is better off untouched what motor would be a good
platform for tweaking,port,polish,finger-ports,reed-valves,smoothbores
velocity stacks, expansion chambers...etc.etc.
Thanx for any and all replies
--
Mad Dog

Mark Pilcher October 17th 03 11:28 PM

Merc 50 mods

Subject: Merc 50 mods
From: "Mad Dog"

I am new to boating but old to the hot-rod scene so curiosity has me,
if this motor is better off untouched what motor would be a good
platform for tweaking,port,polish,finger-ports,reed-valves,smoothbores

There is a company that makes "performance" reed valves for this motor, I think
it might be Bob's Outboard Shop or something like that. I've lost the link. As
you know, this motor uses reed blocks on either end of the crankshaft, so it's
not as simple as those that are after the carbs.
If you figure out how to get 5 or so horses more without tearing it down to the
block or something, let me know. Good luck.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to
do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Mark Pilcher October 17th 03 11:38 PM

Merc 50 mods

From: "Mad Dog"

I am new to boating but old to the hot-rod scene so curiosity has me,
if this motor is better off untouched what motor would be a good
platform for tweaking,port,polish,finger-ports,reed-valves,smoothbores
velocity stacks, expansion chambers...etc.etc.

Just found the info in, of all places, my Merc 50 shop manual. Boyensen makes
the reeds for the reed block, part #241-16, Bob's Machine Shop, 1-800-441-1177.
They were about $70 when I last checked.
Steer it like you stole it, lol.