BoatBanter.com

-   -   keel bolts nuts (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/16078-keel-bolts-nuts.html)

marklan July 18th 04 12:55 PM

keel bolts nuts

I am wanting to cut off old badly rusted keel bolt nuts- the spec's say that
the bolts were cast iron and the nuts galve do you think stainless
steel nuts would react with cast iron bolts?

Ian Malcolm July 19th 04 08:24 AM

keel bolts nuts

marklan wrote:

I am wanting to cut off old badly rusted keel bolt nuts- the spec's say that
the bolts were cast iron and the nuts galve do you think stainless
steel nuts would react with cast iron bolts?

Stainless in contact with ordinary iron or steel is a classic example
for accelerated electrolytic corrosion. The stainless will be just fine
itself, but if your bilge isn't kept very dry, the thread on the bolts
can vanish faster than your wallet empties in a chandler at refit time :-)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961