Old January 29th 14, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sailing

Default DS 20

On Monday, June 21, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Albert Covemaeker wrote:
I have recently purchased a "DS 20" sailboat. It was made by DS Yachts ltd.
at ODESSA Ontario Canada. I have been unable to locate the Company on the
phone book, or the last known owner Herman SCHWILL.

If anyone has anyinfo on these boats, please reply. I am particularly
interested in the boom rigging.

Albert Covemaeker

contact this is a group for all Diller Schwill boats built in Odessa ontario

Old April 4th 17, 04:20 AM posted to alt.sailing

I am a DS 20 sailboat owner.My hull number is 214, As far as I know this may have been one of the last one,s built.Catchawave is a 1980 MK 2. I am only the second owner. This sailboat was purchased in 06 from the original owner. I have original user manual,and some paperwork with the boat product promotion from The manufacturer,The Diller & Schwill yatch company .This boat is on a factory trailer,and has gone through some renovations over the first year I owned her,and then some every year,I keep improving things as I go,and as find these small and some big improvement ,it add up to better performance,and comfort.This winter I built a new rudder,the original was warped and bent at the time. The new rudder I believe will be a big improvement.. It will provide a slightly larger surface,is lighter,and is fitted stainless steel bushings,as well as much improved foil shape. I look forward to my launch this spring. Aloha.

Old April 10th 17, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sailing

I am looking to purchse a DS-20 and would appriciate any information you might be willing to share...first question did the DS-20 not have a swing keel in 1974?

Old April 11th 17, 03:27 AM posted to alt.sailing

Evan,I I'm not sure.My search leads me to believe that the swing keep was introduced a bit later in production.The first ones built had fixed keels with ballast built in. My best guess here,production started in about 75 ,and ran till about 82.Sometime in those years ,say 78 or 79,is my guess.A quick look inside the cockpit,you would see a line on a cleat ,center, and just below the compagnion step leading inside the cabin.
Old May 6th 17, 11:26 PM posted to alt.sailing

I inspected the cabin and talked to the owner, there is a swing keel on her, a pulley inside the cabin, where you said, under the step in the companionway, and a line leading out to a cleat to tie off the keel, it appears to be a metal cable that's attached to the keel on a spool...
Old May 11th 17, 03:06 AM posted to alt.sailing

Evan , this indicate a swing keel..get as much information as you can, ask if this boat has been on the water, recently and ask about the swing keel, this is important that this is operational, they tend to stiffen over time and it may need a push with a long sqaure bar and some tapping with a mallet to give and swing out. You need to push out from to drain opening​ in the cockpit. Cheers.