BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat question (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/155646-boat-question.html)

[email protected] April 6th 13 01:16 PM

Boat question

It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

Hank©[_2_] April 6th 13 01:25 PM

Boat question

On 4/6/2013 8:16 AM, wrote:
It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

Anything other than soap and water will degrade the fabric/vinyl.
Unfortunate you will need bleach to deal with those things. The less the
better.

Wayne B April 6th 13 01:55 PM

Boat question

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 05:16:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

====

Unfortunately I don't know of a product but what works for us is to
keep the vinyl clean, warm and dry. With regard to removal, I've had
some success with spray citrus cleaner/degreasers. It takes a lot of
elbow grease however. Do not use chlorine products - they will ruin
the vinyl. It's possible that a spray silicone product might make
cleaning easier but I've never tried it.

BAR[_2_] April 6th 13 02:53 PM

Boat question

In article ,
says...

It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

Sunshine and moving air.

iBoaterer[_3_] April 6th 13 03:27 PM

Boat question

In article ,
says...

It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

Have you thought about or tried using a 12V fan hooked to a small
Northern Tool or some such solar charger so that you circulate dry air?

F.O.A.D. April 6th 13 03:30 PM

Boat question

On 4/6/13 10:27 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

Have you thought about or tried using a 12V fan hooked to a small
Northern Tool or some such solar charger so that you circulate dry air?

I've almost always pulled all the cushions, curtains, mattresses, et
cetera, out of boats being covered and stored for the winter. I clean
them off and store them in the dry basement storage room. The one time I
stored a boat with upholstery left in it over the winter, the dreaded
mildew appeared. Clorox removed the mildew but it turned some of the
upholstery a pinkish shade.

Earl[_81_] April 7th 13 02:44 AM

Boat question

wrote:
It's time to pull the boat out of the water, bring it home for a few days, and do the spring cleaning. As always, being covered and used sparingly over the winter has left the seats with a little mildew.

Question: Does anyone have good experience with any product that will actually prevent or reduce the occurance of mold and mildew on vinyl?

This product works for me. You have to leave your topside exposed for a
month, or so, and cover it later. It will keep working for several
months before you need to re-apply it.

http://wetandforget.com/product_wet_...t_outdoor.html

This works well for a quick clean but it is tougher on the fabric and
stitching:

http://www.basspro.com/Star-Brite-Mi...product/39753/

[email protected] April 7th 13 03:01 AM

Boat question

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, F.O.A.D. wrote:
[...]

What boat(s), Krausie? The imaginary Zimerman lobster boat, the imaginary Hatteras, the imaginary e-tech powered boat, the imaginary dingy that your father crossed in the Atlantic in? Pray tell, what boat(s)?

iBoaterer[_3_] April 7th 13 03:10 PM

Boat question

In article ,
says...

[...]

Those boats have been mysteriously forgotten about.

Adley Martin April 8th 13 12:13 PM

Boat question

Have a look at easy care boat maintenance tips: http://www.pontoonboatguide.com/oper...e-maintenance/