BoatBanter.com

-   -   Oil weight for mercruiser 5.7 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1540-oil-weight-mercruiser-5-7-a.html)

Matt October 11th 03 10:20 PM

Oil weight for mercruiser 5.7

I am changing the oil in my 5.7 v8 Mercruiser. I live in northern New
Jersey and use only in summer months. I was planning on useing 10-30 anyone
recommend anything else?

Doug Meredith October 11th 03 11:05 PM

Oil weight for mercruiser 5.7

either use Mercruiser 20-40, or straight 40w. See your owners manual for
what Merc recommends. 10-30 is too light for your engine.

Messing In Boats October 12th 03 03:07 AM

Oil weight for mercruiser 5.7

I have that engine and am now using 15-40 Amsoil marine diesel oil. I'll
let you know in about 2400 engine hours if it was the right move...

Capt. Jeff