posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default how to repair delaminating vinyl top layer of royalex hull?

Hello all, I'm new here. Briefly: I'm looking for a decent river canoe for recreational paddling. I'm a fisherman and my daughter is 4 and I'd like to start getting her on the water. The boat is not for fishing, rather just to float with the family some and see where it takes us.

I found a decent looking boat in my price range: a Swift Dumoines, $500. The hull has large portions of delamination in the outer layer, it is not into the Royalex. I assume this is the vinyl coating, ? The seller said that the fix is a fiberglass layer. I've been researching and haven't found much about fixing this issue. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Is the vinyl peeling, or is it worn off? Wearing off is normal with
heavy use, peeling is rare.

Royalex is the vinyl-ABS-vinyl sandwich. If the outer layer of vinyl is
going, it exposes the ABS to UV, which will degrade it. Yeah, you could
put a bunch of work into stripping off the de-lammed part, then glassing
over it, and probably painting it, too, but IMO $500 is way too much to
pay for a tandem canoe with a de-laminating hull. I just bought an Old
Town Discovery with a little delamination, within the layup--it's still
solid, though--for $150.

Keep looking, John.

Steve

On 8/22/2012 1:40 AM, john wrote:
Hello all, I'm new here. Briefly: I'm looking for a decent river
canoe for recreational paddling. I'm a fisherman and my daughter is
4 and I'd like to start getting her on the water. The boat is not
for fishing, rather just to float with the family some and see where
it takes us.

I found a decent looking boat in my price range: a Swift Dumoines,
$500. The hull has large portions of delamination in the outer
layer, it is not into the Royalex. I assume this is the vinyl
coating, ? The seller said that the fix is a fiberglass layer. I've
been researching and haven't found much about fixing this issue.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Royalex is the vinyl-ABS-vinyl sandwich. If the outer layer of vinyl is
going, it exposes the ABS to UV, which will degrade it. Yeah, you could
put a bunch of work into stripping off the de-lammed part, then glassing
over it, and probably painting it, too, but IMO $500 is way too much to
pay for a tandem canoe with a de-laminating hull. I just bought an Old
Town Discovery with a little delamination, within the layup--it's still
solid, though--for $150.

I found one for free that seems to be in the beginning stages of delamination. I have pictures but cant seem to post them here. I've read articles, saying to drill holes and use epoxy before glassing... would you suggest that? my email is --- i'd like to show you some pictures.. also, what paint would you use,like a rubber spray, or something?
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On 8/22/2012 1:40 AM, john wrote:
Hello all, I'm new here. Briefly: I'm looking for a decent river
canoe for recreational paddling. I'm a fisherman and my daughter is
4 and I'd like to start getting her on the water. The boat is not
for fishing, rather just to float with the family some and see where
it takes us.

I found a decent looking boat in my price range: a Swift Dumoines,
$500. The hull has large portions of delamination in the outer
layer, it is not into the Royalex. I assume this is the vinyl
coating, ? The seller said that the fix is a fiberglass layer. I've
been researching and haven't found much about fixing this issue.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

it looks like it got damaged on rocks.

Royalex Repair Ghazan Haider General 5 August 2nd 05 04:22 PM
vinyl replacement for canvas top? William Andersen General 3 July 6th 05 01:14 PM
Hull and vinyl cleaner [email protected] General 0 March 10th 05 08:02 PM
How to repair a section of top layer of plywood only? Howie UK Power Boats 8 February 6th 05 10:08 AM
Advice needed: seat vinyl rip repair Keith Cruising 0 July 23rd 03 02:32 PM