Default Labor Day - on the right wing agenda?

I'm sure they're got plans to not work, since honoring labor is
equivalent to honoring evil.

The first big Labor Day in the United States was observed on September
5, 1882, by the Central Labor Union of New York. It became a federal
holiday in 1894, when, following the deaths of a number of workers at
the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman
Strike, President Grover Cleveland reconciled with the labor movement.
Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national
holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously and signed into law a
mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date
originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the
nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather
than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland
was concerned that observance of the latter would stir up negative
emotions linked to the Haymarket Affair, which it had been observed to
commemorate. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the
territories have made it a statutory holiday.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 09:33:31 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:24:00 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

Nice cut-and-paste from Wikipedia, Harry would be so proud of you.

Would you like to know the *truth*? Probably not, since it doesn't
follow the party line, but here it is:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/02/opinio...r-day-history/

Why the concern about Harry? Let him go. Best for all.

wrote:

[...]

What I posted is not much difference, so the truth is pretty obvious.
It's to celebrate labor. Do you disagree?

wrote:

[...]

You move toward the truth like cold molasses.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 09:06:20 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I absolutely disagree. Are you blinded by your own words? Did you not
say, "since honoring labor is equivalent to honoring evil?"

Labor day is a National Holiday to remember the labor movement and its
dedication to the social and economic achievements of American workers
who have made great sacrifices to further the strength, prosperity,
and well-being of this country.

The labor movement is not more intrinsically evil than the
corporations they seek to offset. I think you will agree that a lot
more laborers have been killed (percentage wise, if you will) in
performing their labor than CEOs. That skyscraper you view, that
bridge you cross, and that lock you take you imaginary boat through,
were all built at the cost of American labor's blood, sweat, tears,
and sometime lives.

This is a time when my family takes time to remember the deep
sacrifices of our forbears. We wouldn't have the grand life that we
have now, without their sacrifice. You spend the day as you wish.

Hate if you will, but I'll not agree with you. Go buy a boat, take
some time to smell the roses, calm down, get a grip, and come back
here when you aren't so angry and full of hate. You will live longer
and enjoy life more.

I think you're barking at the wrong person. When I said, "I'm sure
they're got plans to not work, since honoring labor is equivalent to
honoring evil," I was basically saying that right-wingers are
hypocritical assholes. They take the long weekend, then show up on
Tuesday full of hate against organized labor.

On Sep 4, 1:39*pm, wrote:
[...]

The holiday was instated by the President of the United States, not
the president of the AFL-CIO. so where do you get the thought that the
unions formed the Labour Day holiday weekend?

wrote:

[...]

Labor Day is a day to remember those who perform or have performed labor.

Amen.

wrote:

[...]

As usual, you have just enough command of the facts to look stupid.

wrote:

[...]

In your own mind.

Fact:
http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

More liberal crap.

Big Labor's Agenda in serious trouble... Tom Francis - SWSports General 28 October 13th 09 06:20 PM
Labor Day Regatta sailmonstermomma Cruising 0 August 27th 08 03:59 PM
Labor Day Madness Joe ASA 0 September 4th 06 04:20 PM
Labor Day Weekend RGrew176 General 1 September 9th 04 11:43 AM
Labor Day Weekend RGrew176 Cruising 0 September 9th 04 03:53 AM