BoatBanter.com

-   -   Safety gear, kayak,open ocean, Hawaii, ACR 406 EPIRB, Katadyn Survivor 35, epipen (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13794-safety-gear-kayak-open-ocean-hawaii-acr-406-epirb-katadyn-survivor-35-epipen.html)

Scott Bemis March 16th 04 06:51 PM

Safety gear, kayak,open ocean, Hawaii, ACR 406 EPIRB, Katadyn Survivor 35, epipen

I would seriously consider ACR Electronics EPIRB GlobalFix 406 with a
bultin GPS, category II Manual with the emphasis on the manual model,
especially in a kayak (US $1,200). I would not want this EPIRB to
deploy automatically as the automatic model do in the water, for
example if dropped overboard from a kayak. The automatic model also
cost more as most places. EPIRB is an abbreviation for emergency
position indication rescue beacon or something similar to that.
www.westmarine.com is just one of the several places that sells this.
Or if you can wait at least one hour for a fix and with about one or
two square miles accuracy, ACR Electronics 406 Personal Locator Beacon
(US $600) could work (www.rei.com is one place this is for sale).

I do own the ACR Electronics GyPSI 406 Personal Locator Beacon with
GPS Interface (US $700). I already own a Garmin GPS. I bought this
PLB with a discount coupon from REI. There are wires going from the
GPS to the
406 PLB. I have these two devices in waterproof bags. In a
al****erenvironment, I would be hesistant to use this rigging. I live
near the Great Lakes in the U.S.A., ex Lake Superior, Lake Michigan.
Even in a fresh water environment, I wonder if I could get the GPS
interface to work in rough conditions. The PLB will still function
without the GPS, just with less accuracy (one or two square miles
compared to a few square meters/yards with the GPS).

In a sal****er environment, if I had the good fortune to live in
Hawaii, I would seriously consider carrying a Katadyn Survivor-06 (US
$540) for water desalination (in case I spend more time than desired
at sea, wondering why I ever went kayaking/diving that day).
For additional information, please refer to

http://www.katadyn.ch/site/int/home/...s/survivor06/#
hand-operated emergency desalinator
or the larger and more expensive Katadyn Survivor-35 emergency
desalinator
(US $1350)
Produces up to 4.5 litres per hour
Produces enough water for multiple person liferafts
Widely used by US and international military forces, voyagers,
sea
kayakers, and other adventurers

I do not (yet) own the Katadyn desalination units. I only talked to a
company employee about this (in Minnesota as Katadyn bought this
Minnesota based company) Again, as I live near and kayak in the Great
Lakes, fresh water is not a problem (the cold water can be though).

I would also carry a well prepared first aid kit including a epipen
(allery and useful in case of an accidentally drowning to get the
heart going again).
End

I occasionally visit Maui, staying at my parents condo -- listed at
www.maui-napili.com

Paddling from Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii is nice, although I can charts and
water and plenty of suntan lotion.

Scott Bemis