BoatBanter.com

-   -   Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13686-whitewater-kayaking-school-east-coast.html)

Don Kiely January 15th 04 07:05 AM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

Can anyone recommend a good kayaking school on the East Coast? We're looking
for a weeklong course ideally within maybe a four hour drive from Washington
D.C. that has courses in mid-April (we're both from Alaska, so cold isn't a
problem). One of us is a novice (although will lots of pool time by then)
and the other is a solid class III boater.

Thanks!
Don

Theodore F. Marz January 15th 04 01:40 PM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:05:04 GMT, "Don Kiely"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good kayaking school on the East Coast? We're looking
for a weeklong course ideally within maybe a four hour drive from Washington
D.C. that has courses in mid-April (we're both from Alaska, so cold isn't a
problem). One of us is a novice (although will lots of pool time by then)
and the other is a solid class III boater.

Thanks!
Don

At around 6 hours drive is Riversport school of Paddling in
Confluence, PA.

I believe that there may be some stuff right in and around DC... but
I'm not in the DC area. Maybe try looking on the monocacy canoe club
website:
www.monocacycanoe.org

or on the American Whitewater Association website
www.americanwhitewater.org

ted

Blankibr January 15th 04 09:28 PM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

www.potomacpaddlesports.com is right in the DC area. Sunny is a great guy to
deal with and I know you would enjoy what he has to offer.

Disclaimer: I teach sea kayaking under contract for PPS.

Brian Blankinship

Oci-One Kanubi January 21st 04 07:10 PM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

Oops. Ted meant to say "around 3 hours drive". Say 3 1/2 hours to be
conservative, from anywhere in NW Washington DC, or 3 hours from the
northwestern suburbs, assuming you avoid rush hour in greater
Washington and set the cruise control at no more than 5 MPH over the
limit. It used to take me 2 3/4 hours from Rockville, MD, to
Ohiopyle, and Confluence is even closer.

Riversport is a terrific suggestion. Check their web site at
http://www.shol.com/kayak/ for contact information. They are MUCH
better paddlers (and instructors) than they are website designers!

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.

Larry Cable January 21st 04 10:48 PM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

(Oci-One Kanubi)

Typed in Message-ID:

Riversport is a terrific suggestion. Check their web site at
http://www.shol.com/kayak/ for contact information. They are MUCH
better paddlers (and instructors) than they are website designers!

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

I'll second that recommendation too. I took a OC-1 class from Riversports back
in the days when the Blue Hole Sunburst was the hot, new solo boat (the
original Blue Hole Co). Lucked out and ended up with Bob Ruppell as an
individual instructor. Learned more in two days than I had in the previous 2
years of paddling.

You coming up on the Plateau this Spring, Richard?

SYOTR
Larry C.

PaulRavenn January 22nd 04 07:44 PM

Whitewater Kayaking School on East Coast

I would go with Endless Rivers at Nantahala North Carolina -
www.endlessriveradventures.com/ small operation -great people, terrific
location
800-256-4943