ExPatBrit

Default Dogs and Canoes

Does anyone have experience introducing a dog to canoeing?

I have a new 3-year old female German shepherd that I'd like to take
on short canoe trips.
occ

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:50:09 GMT, ExPatBrit wrote:

Does anyone have experience introducing a dog to canoeing?

I have a new 3-year old female German shepherd that I'd like to take
on short canoe trips.

Every dog I know loves it in a canoe and jumps form canoe to canoe
it's great fun

John O'Connell

Wood burning camp stoves
Web page www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor

William R. Watt

my dog was too restless as a pup. he'd jump out and swim to shore whenever
we got close to land. he was okay when he was quite old. he seemed ot
enjoy it a times. often he looked bored. I put a foam pad on the bottom to
provide traction and a dry bed.

for canine PFD's you'll problably find more at sailboat stores than
paddling stores. people take dogs on sailboats although its not
recommended. poor dogs. we never used a canine PFD for our afternoon
paddles. he only fell out a couple times. we had to go ashore for him to
get back in. lifting a 54 lb dog with the added weight of a coat full of
water back into the small boat was not possible. if you do plan to take a
dog I'd suggest figuring a way to get her back into the boat.

in the old days natives would transport their dogs by canoe like
everything else but that was not for recreation and I don't know if either
the dogs or the natives got much pleasure out of it. I have a book here
with a photo taken in 1989 of a native trapper with his dog and his
snowmobile in his canoe and an outboard motor on the back pushing them
along. a canoe trip is what you make of it.

ExPatBrit ) writes:
Does anyone have experience introducing a dog to canoeing?

I have a new 3-year old female German shepherd that I'd like to take
on short canoe trips.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Doug Salisbury

Teach it to sit and stay first. When I first took my lab canoeing, he tried
jumping from the boat to the shore and flipped us both. While I was empting
the boat, he was rolling in poison oak.. He now is an experienced boater and
well aware of canoe balance and is a good boating partner.