BoatBanter.com

-   -   Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13364-walden-vista-expedition-prijon-capri-i.html)

EJ September 2nd 03 01:28 PM

Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I

I simply need a boat I can get on and off my vehicle alone. As a
small woman, my family's Dagger Prospect simply requires another
person to help me. I'm looking to use the kayak for a couple of hours
here and there, mostly on the protected bay and local calm river. I'd
be paying about $120 more for the Prijon and am trying to figure out
whether there's value in that.
Thanks!

Dave Van September 2nd 03 02:09 PM

Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I

in article , EJ at
wrote on 9/2/03 7:28 AM:

I simply need a boat I can get on and off my vehicle alone. As a
small woman, my family's Dagger Prospect simply requires another
person to help me. I'm looking to use the kayak for a couple of hours
here and there, mostly on the protected bay and local calm river. I'd
be paying about $120 more for the Prijon and am trying to figure out
whether there's value in that.
Thanks!

Can't speak specifically regarding the handling characteristics of either
boat but here's a couple things to look into. In General, the Prijon boats,
being blow molded, tend to be higher density and stiffer than their
rotationally molded brethren. This reduces hull deformation from roof and
storage racks. Another benefit, inch for inch, the Prijons tend to be a
little lighter. If car topping alone is a major criteria, a few pounds at
the end of a long day of paddling can make quite a difference.

EJ September 2nd 03 04:10 PM

Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I

Actually, the Walden is 4 pounds lighter, at 39 pounds. I was thinking that
wouldn't make that much difference, but maybe I need to rethink that. Any
other thoughts from people on comparisons between these two boats?

"Dave Van" wrote in message
in article , EJ at

Mary Malmros September 2nd 03 08:47 PM

"EJ" writes:

Actually, the Walden is 4 pounds lighter, at 39 pounds. I was thinking that
wouldn't make that much difference, but maybe I need to rethink
that.

Four pounds doesn't seem like a huge difference, but maybe you can
check it out. It might be worth going to a kayak store and asking
if you can try lifting a boat this size onto your rack -- not
necessarily one of these two boats, but something close to it. That
way, you'll have a sense of how easily you can manage the weight,
and where your limit is.

I am usually cartopping whitewater kayaks, which weigh in at
somewhere between 35 and 40 pounds empty. Miscellaneous crap
probably adds another five pounds or so. I can be pretty casual
about putting these up on top of a sedan, but if the vehicle is
tall, I have to be a little more clever in how I do it, since I'm
not real tall myself (only 5' 6"). Even though 40 pounds is not a
lot of weight, it's easy to hurt yourself trying to lift it
overhead, particularly at the end of a long day of paddling when
you're tired, the ground is uneven, some dope parked the car on a
slope, etc.

--
Mary Malmros

EJ September 3rd 03 02:07 AM

Walden Vista Expedition or Prijon Capri I

Thanks -- I bit the bullet and bought the Prijon.
It actually fits fully inside my closed van!