BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fishing kayak (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/115448-fishing-kayak.html)

Roger May 16th 10 12:43 PM

Fishing kayak

Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.
Thanks

Roger
http://www.virginiarowing.com

(PeteCresswell) May 17th 10 12:34 AM

Fishing kayak

Per Roger:
Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.

I'm no fisherman, but I'd think you have to look at the one by
Hobie that has a pedal propulsion system.

Also, kayak fishing is a big deal in some areas and there are
whole web sited dedicated to it and equipment for same. Might be
worth a couple hours Googling around.
--
PeteCresswell

John Kuthe May 17th 10 02:59 AM

Fishing kayak

On May 16, 6:43*am, Roger wrote:
Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.
Thanks

Rogerhttp://www.virginiarowing.com

I was gonna suggest the Wilderness Systems Pungo series of kayaks for
fishing, but Googling "Pungo" I turned up this Wilderness Systems
page:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...roducts/angler

Seems Wilderness Systems is beginning to specialize in fishing kayaks.

John Kuthe...

Robert Scott May 18th 10 12:47 AM

Fishing kayak

"Roger" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.
Thanks

Roger
http://www.virginiarowing.com

Hi Roger,

I'm a long-time canoe guy who needed a fishing kayak and I picked the
Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 Angler. I preferred it to the sit-on-top types
due to the lighter weight and dry storage. And, I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. so I
needed something with a roomy cockpit and plenty of volume. I have to say
I'm very pleased with the boat and the value. It is very stable and roomy.
Today, I was paddling in brisk winds and whitecaps on a small Adirondack
lake and I was extremely impressed with the Pungo 140's manners. So much so
that I was wondering to myself how much use my canoes would get now that I
have this wonderful kayak.... ;-)

Good luck with your choice,
desmobob

pete[_2_] May 18th 10 05:10 PM

Fishing kayak

http://www.kayakanglermag.com/fishin...ers-guide.html

Robert Scott May 19th 10 12:42 AM

Fishing kayak

One thing I wanted to add about the Pungo 140...

In the past, this particular model was criticized for not having a forward
bulkhead. I'm a newbie at kayaks, but I understood this to be a significant
safety issue as it prevented the possibility of a wet re-entry self-rescue.

Even though the product pages and literature still list the boat as having a
stern bulkhead, my 2010 model does indeed have a forward bulkhead as well.
I think the Wilderness Systems folks should be advertising this feature, as
anyone that has done some web searching in regards to the Pungo 140 will
most certainly read about the lack of one in the past.

Good paddling,
desmobob

alexrock23 May 29th 10 05:08 AM

The first thing to do is find out who retails ocean kayaks in your area. They will usually offer classes for novice kayakers which teach you the ins-and-outs of safe ocean kayaking. Once you have the lessons under your belt, you can rent an appropriate boat and see if kayak-fishing really interests you. If it turns out to be a good thing, then you might want to look into the various models of boat, some specific-designed for fishing and others that can be easily adapted.

[email protected] June 3rd 10 04:14 AM

Fishing kayak

On May 16, 7:34*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Roger:

Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.

I'm no fisherman, but I'd think you have to look at the one by
Hobie that has a pedal propulsion system.

Also, kayak fishing is a big deal in some areas and there are
whole web sited dedicated to it and equipment for same. *Might be
worth a couple hours Googling around.
--
PeteCresswell

I've used the hobie kayak but not for fishing, the pedal propulsion
can move you along quickly and keep your hands free. I liked it enough
that I might try and find a used one.

Wilko June 7th 10 02:50 PM

Fishing kayak

wrote:
On May 16, 7:34 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Roger:

Any recommendations for a fishing kayak for a novice kayaker. I'm
looking for something stable and comfortable I can fish in.

I'm no fisherman, but I'd think you have to look at the one by
Hobie that has a pedal propulsion system.

Also, kayak fishing is a big deal in some areas and there are
whole web sited dedicated to it and equipment for same. Might be
worth a couple hours Googling around.
--
PeteCresswell

I've used the hobie kayak but not for fishing, the pedal propulsion
can move you along quickly and keep your hands free. I liked it enough
that I might try and find a used one.

"Jeepyak"? Now that does ring some bells from the past.

This doesn't happen to be Dougie Jaeger by any chance, does it? :-)

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

--riverman June 8th 10 09:06 AM

Fishing kayak

On Jun 7, 9:50*pm, Wilko wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Most likely one and the same. Check the posting history of
.

:-)

--riverman
(and yes, its me)