BoatBanter.com

-   -   Oil change: How often? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1125-re-oil-change-how-often.html)

Wayne.B September 14th 03 03:45 PM

Oil change: How often?

On 14 Sep 2003 07:40:15 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:
How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

===============================

300 hours is like 20,000 miles on your car. I change mine every 50 to
100 hours, once a year minimum.

Tony Thomas September 14th 03 03:49 PM

Oil change: How often?

Every 100 hours is correct (or every year at winterize if not 100 hours).
Use straight 30 weight oil (not 10w or 5w or etc).

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

om...

Harry Krause September 14th 03 03:49 PM

Oil change: How often?

Wayne.B wrote:
On 14 Sep 2003 07:40:15 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:
How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

===============================

300 hours is like 20,000 miles on your car. I change mine every 50 to
100 hours, once a year minimum.

Fifty hours seems appropriate. That's the cycle I'm following on my F225
Yamaha. Oil is cheap; outboards aren't.

--
* * *
email sent to

Mark Browne September 14th 03 03:54 PM

Oil change: How often?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 14 Sep 2003 07:40:15 -0700,
(Richard Malcolm) wrote:
How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

===============================

300 hours is like 20,000 miles on your car. I change mine every 50 to
100 hours, once a year minimum.

I would lean towards 50 hours for a Diesel unless that is continuous
running. The combustion byproducts that end up the oil are both corrosive
and abrasive. In any case, no less than every three months of use.

Mark Browne

Gfretwell September 14th 03 04:27 PM

Oil change: How often?

I change oil at 50 and a filter every other time (100)

DownTime September 14th 03 08:16 PM

Oil change: How often?

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On 14 Sep 2003 15:27:25 GMT, reg (Gfretwell) wrote:

Winterized.... hmmmmm.... I wonder how many people pre-oil the engine
when returning to service after the winter?

Winterize? Is that around the time of the year the sno-birds migrate south?

Some of us never 'leave' service, so no returning to service. But we have
other concerns the northern boater never has to consider. ;)

RG September 15th 03 01:10 AM

Oil change: How often?

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

I change engine oil and filter every 50 hours and lower unit gear lube every
100 hours. I use Mercruiser's 25W-40 4 cycle marine engine oil for both of
the propulsion engines and the genset, and their High Performance Gear Lube
for the lower units.

Richard Malcolm September 15th 03 02:11 AM

Oil change: How often?

300 hours is like 20,000 miles on your car. I change mine every 50 to
100 hours, once a year minimum.

Thanks for all you responses
100 hours is what I have been doing and I thought 300 sounded wrong. I
will work towards 50-100hrs. Thanks
Does 30 weight sound right?

by the way, even with the short season we have in Boston, I can't
believe that people would not make the time to use the boat for more
than 100 hour in a season.
Shame on you who let the season slip away. Boating in lousy weather is
better than not boating.

LaBomba182 September 15th 03 02:53 AM

Oil change: How often?

Subject: Oil change: How often?
From: reg

I change oil at 50 and a filter every other time (100)

I'd say you're better off changing the filter every 50 hours and the oil every
100 hours.

Capt. Bill

Richard Malcolm September 15th 03 03:01 PM

Oil change: How often?

How often do people change their oil. I have an 1993 OMC (ford) King
Cobra I/O. I have been changing the oil about every 100 hours. Just
read somewhere that 300 hours is OK? What weight would you use up in
New England for this time of the year. I generally will pull my boat
out for the season in late December.

I change engine oil and filter every 50 hours and lower unit gear lube every
100 hours. I use Mercruiser's 25W-40 4 cycle marine engine oil for both of
the propulsion engines and the genset, and their High Performance Gear Lube
for the lower units.

Thanks everyone for your input. I use my boat quite a bit and usually
change it every 100 hours which means at least 3 or 4 time a season
here in the North. From your responces, I will change that to more
like every 50 hours. I have a mechanic do the lower end each season as
I do not have a trailer and can not take it out of the water as often
as I would like.