Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Emergency beacons

In prep for my upcoming sailing trip, I bought a new battery for my
406 Mhz EPIRB and ran thru the self test sequence, IT FAILED. This
insanely expensive piece of equipment does not work? This coulda
killed me. I sent it via next day mail to the place here in FL for
examination and they say they might have to send it back to England
costing nearly $300. Like Hell.
Options........hmmm. There is something new out there called SPOT.
For $150, one can buy a beacon that when activated sends a signal to a
satellite (I think it must use the Iridium network) and that sends a
signal to some emergency station with your GPS location. Am not sure
how this differs from EPIRB.
It has other features too. One can use it to send a recorded message
back to home saying "I am ok, my position is........". It can also
send a signal back home so someone can track your path on Google
Earth. It does require a subscription service of $100/yr.
Anybody know about these things?

emergency patch Cliff General 4 December 19th 08 08:35 AM
Emergency or first aid kit. [email protected] UK Paddle 9 September 20th 05 02:24 PM
Emergency Rudders +++ Mic Cruising 0 September 6th 05 03:03 AM
Emergency Help Needed Now! bonnie Crew 0 September 5th 05 03:15 AM
Emergency Now Help! bonnie General 0 September 5th 05 03:03 AM