BoatBanter.com

-   -   Labs on board (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1097-labs-board.html)

Dionysus Feldman September 12th 03 12:59 PM

Labs on board

Our lab has had a tough time getting in and out of our boat. Part of
this is due to a high dock -- or low water, depending on your
perspective. The critical thing is getting out of the water

We went swimming off the back, but she had a tough time getting on the
swim platform afterwards. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for her to be
pulled and pushed, and I'm thinking that, since many people hunt with
labs from boats, there's a good way to get her on board.

DJ September 12th 03 05:36 PM

Labs on board

"Dionysus Feldman" wrote in message
Our lab has had a tough time getting in and out of our boat. Part of
this is due to a high dock -- or low water, depending on your
perspective. The critical thing is getting out of the water

We went swimming off the back, but she had a tough time getting on the
swim platform afterwards. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for her to be
pulled and pushed, and I'm thinking that, since many people hunt with
labs from boats, there's a good way to get her on board.

There are a bunch of different things made to assist dogs getting into
boats. I haven't used any, but have looked at them. Check out Cabalas for
some ideas - try this link (to cabalas)

http://tinyurl.com/n5d8

If it doesn't work, just search the Cabelas site with: dog boat.

good luck with that lab Mine goes nuts if he just imagines I'm getting
ready to go boating (you know how they look deeply into your eyes and figure
out what you're thinking). He walks the gunwales around the windshield and
hangs 10 off the bow whenever he gets the chance. It's interesting when he
sees a beaver, but luckily is pretty obedient.

DJ

Doug Kanter September 12th 03 05:38 PM

Labs on board

Beaver? Where do you boat? The only beaver I see around here is 15 year old
girls on Jet Skis, and who wants an airhead on a Jet Ski? We have a serious
shortage of decent boat beaver.

CCred68046 September 12th 03 05:56 PM

Labs on board

Yea, what kind of beaver did you think I was talking about? 8-)

DJ

Hey, you want to sell that dog? :)

Doug Kanter September 12th 03 06:13 PM

Labs on board

Can a dog be trained to be very selective about the beaver it detects?
Weight, age, lack of morals, that sort of thing? I normally consider dogs to
be nothing but pistol targets, but if I had one that was truly useful....who
knows?

Grumman-581 September 12th 03 08:53 PM

Labs on board

"Doug Kanter" wrote ...
I normally consider dogs to
be nothing but pistol targets

Nawh, they tend to be to big for that... Cats, on the other hand are just
about the right size... Chihuahuas and other rat-type yipping dogs make good
targets though...

Doug Kanter September 12th 03 09:04 PM

Labs on board

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote ...
I normally consider dogs to
be nothing but pistol targets

Nawh, they tend to be to big for that... Cats, on the other hand are just
about the right size... Chihuahuas and other rat-type yipping dogs make

good
targets though...

Yeah...it certainly helps hone your skills, trying not to shoot the owner's
ankles. Dumb little dogs...they'd fit nicely on the BBQ....

J K September 13th 03 05:14 PM

Labs on board

Here's what I did with my dog Chancey:
1. At home, near stern of the trailered boat, I set up an
ordinary step ladder. Any height ladder will do.

2. I began training Chancey to "Climb" by placing one paw at a
time on step ladder steps, while using the command "CLIMB"(use
same command, be consistent, don't use a bunch of words). I
only got him to the first two steps of the step ladder, bcz he
was quite resistant to that particular training. But I repeated
the training!

3. When Chancey and I finally got to the lake a week or two
later, he ended up in the water unexpectedly. I called him
toward the swim ladder, grabbed him by scruff of his neck, and
issued the command "CLIMB"! He climbed up the swim ladder with
just a little help from me.

As there is no way I could lift this 90 LBS dog (dry) out of the
water while bending over the stern, by back would snap and then
dog and I would both need rescue.

J K

Dionysus Feldman September 15th 03 01:50 PM

Labs on board

"Doug Kanter"--
I normally consider dogs to be nothing but pistol targets

df--

Them's fighting words Doug.

20 paces with baby seal clubs at dawn.

noah September 15th 03 11:56 PM

Labs on board

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:54:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

From what I've heard from 3 Lab owners, hip problems are as common with them
as glove compartments are in cars. True?

Hi Doug.

From my experience, many of the larger breeds are prone to
hip-dysplasia, Labs and Sheps being the most notable. I'm no dog
expert, just relaying personal experience.

Then again, I have known a few labs that were healthy, and hunted,
well into their old-age. If you're interested in a dog, check out
its' lineage carefully for hip problems.

Good luck,
noah

Lloyd Sumpter September 16th 03 02:14 AM

Labs on board

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:59:31 +0000, Dionysus Feldman wrote:

Our lab has had a tough time getting in and out of our boat. Part of
this is due to a high dock -- or low water, depending on your
perspective. The critical thing is getting out of the water

Make sure you have fire extinguishers handy before doing any experiments,
and be aware that the police can find labs in a boat as easily as...oh, a
DOG....sorry, nevermind... ;)

Lloyd

Doug Kanter September 16th 03 03:54 PM

Labs on board

"noah" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:54:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

From what I've heard from 3 Lab owners, hip problems are as common with

them
as glove compartments are in cars. True?

Hi Doug.

From my experience, many of the larger breeds are prone to
hip-dysplasia, Labs and Sheps being the most notable. I'm no dog
expert, just relaying personal experience.

Then again, I have known a few labs that were healthy, and hunted,
well into their old-age. If you're interested in a dog, check out
its' lineage carefully for hip problems.

Good luck,
noah

Not interested...just wondering. My neighbor has a lab. A month after he
told me she had a hip problem, he went car shopping and bought a pickup
truck that even HE has trouble getting into. No need for the truck...but all
the guys at the fire house have them.

Curtis CCR September 17th 03 01:37 AM

Labs on board

noah wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:54:26 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

From what I've heard from 3 Lab owners, hip problems are as common with them
as glove compartments are in cars. True?

From my experience, many of the larger breeds are prone to
hip-dysplasia, Labs and Sheps being the most notable. I'm no dog
expert, just relaying personal experience.

Then again, I have known a few labs that were healthy, and hunted,
well into their old-age. If you're interested in a dog, check out
its' lineage carefully for hip problems.

Based on AKC registrations, the Lab is the most popular dog (154,616
registered in 2002) in the US. Second place is the Golden (56,124).
These are huge numbers compared to most other breeds.

Numbers like that lead to sloppy breeding. You offer good advice
about checking lineage. For problems like hip dysplasia, you can't
really tell if a puppy has a problem, even with xrays. You need to
look the parents and grandparents. Respectable breeders will have
there breeding dogs evaluated and graded by the Orthopedic Foundation
for Animals (OFA). You're rollng the dice if you are not seeing OFA
good or excellent. You should also research the breeder's standing
with the local or national breed organizations - make sure you are not
buying from a puppy mill.

JLSAVARD September 17th 03 02:36 PM

Labs on board

AMEN!!!!!!

Dionysus Feldman September 17th 03 05:26 PM

Labs on board

Curtis CCF--
Numbers like that lead to sloppy breeding. You offer good advice
about checking lineage. For problems like hip dysplasia, you can't
really tell if a puppy has a problem, even with xrays. You need to
look the parents and grandparents. Respectable breeders will have
there breeding dogs evaluated and graded by the Orthopedic Foundation
for Animals (OFA). You're rollng the dice if you are not seeing OFA
good or excellent. You should also research the breeder's standing
with the local or national breed organizations - make sure you are not
buying from a puppy mill.

df--

Done, done and done.

Now... how do we get her on the boat?

(Actually, she's getting on the boat well. One step, then to the bow,
then in the bow hatch, through the cabin to the stern where she takes up
all the room with her wiggly body waiting for everyone else to load up).

The problem now is getting her off, and in/out of the water. It looks
like she'll be OK with some practice.

noah September 18th 03 02:14 AM

Labs on board

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:26:40 -0400,
(Dionysus Feldman) wrote:

Curtis CCF--
[...]

DF- I don't know your particular boat or docking setup, or *your*
physical abilities. Have you thought about a harness arrangement, so
that you can grab the harness "backbone" and assist your pooch? There
are flotation suits available for "hunting dogs" (not a bad idea,
really. A PFD for your pooch) that have "grab handles" on the back to
assist the dog. ...just a thought. Check cabelas.com or other
outdoor outfitters.

Regards,
noah

Doug Kanter September 18th 03 02:55 PM

Labs on board

"noah" wrote in message

DF- I don't know your particular boat or docking setup, or *your*
physical abilities. Have you thought about a harness arrangement, so
that you can grab the harness "backbone" and assist your pooch? There
are flotation suits available for "hunting dogs" (not a bad idea,
really. A PFD for your pooch) that have "grab handles" on the back to
assist the dog. ...just a thought. Check cabelas.com or other
outdoor outfitters.

Regards,
noah

Let's see.....dog or woman....dog or woman...dog or woman.....the dog has
bathroom habits like a baby....the woman does not. Can't kiss the dog unless
I'm crazy. Hmmm....I'll take the dog.

I just don't get this dog thing.

Harry Krause September 18th 03 02:58 PM

Labs on board

Doug Kanter wrote:
"noah" wrote in message

DF- I don't know your particular boat or docking setup, or *your*
physical abilities. Have you thought about a harness arrangement, so
that you can grab the harness "backbone" and assist your pooch? There
are flotation suits available for "hunting dogs" (not a bad idea,
really. A PFD for your pooch) that have "grab handles" on the back to
assist the dog. ...just a thought. Check cabelas.com or other
outdoor outfitters.

Regards,
noah

Let's see.....dog or woman....dog or woman...dog or woman.....the dog has
bathroom habits like a baby....the woman does not. Can't kiss the dog unless
I'm crazy. Hmmm....I'll take the dog.

I just don't get this dog thing.

Wait just a minute there. You've never kissed a dog? I mean a dog of the
canine variety? What kind of man are you?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Doug Kanter September 18th 03 03:22 PM

Labs on board

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Let's see.....dog or woman....dog or woman...dog or woman.....the dog

has
bathroom habits like a baby....the woman does not. Can't kiss the dog

unless
I'm crazy. Hmmm....I'll take the dog.

I just don't get this dog thing.

Wait just a minute there. You've never kissed a dog? I mean a dog of the
canine variety? What kind of man are you?

I realize that a large segment of the population thinks it's cute to be
licked on the face by an animal that licks its own ass, any other dog's ass,
and any pile of **** if finds on the curb, but I just cannot get excited
about it.

I'll tell ya what's fun, though: When I'm gardening and a dog-bot stops
their beast to do its business on my lawn, I get within 10 ft the dog, hold
the pitch pork menacingly, and politely ask if they could be sure to NEVER
stop the dog for 10 feet either side of the property line. I've even made
black people turn white before they've moved along to ruin someone else's
world. And, I can throw a pitch fork about 20 feet, with astounding
accuracy.

Dogs. Bah.

Harry Krause September 18th 03 03:22 PM

Labs on board

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Ooooh. As un-American a statement as I've read here.

Woof.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Doug Kanter September 18th 03 03:35 PM

Labs on board

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Dogs. Bah.

Ooooh. As un-American a statement as I've read here.

Woof.

Harry, you'd sing a different song if you spent upward of 20 hours a week
creating a garden to die for. According to our local incompetent dog
catcher, there are 17 registered dogs within a block of my house. I've
counted 10 different strays on any given weekend. So, 59% of dog owners in
my 'hood aren't qualified to own the animals. That's where my attitude comes
from.

Curtis CCR September 18th 03 11:24 PM

Labs on board

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this
selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never
proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog… He will kiss the hand
that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come
in encounter with the roughness of the world… When all other friends
desert, he remains."
- George G. Vest

Doug Kanter September 19th 03 02:49 PM

Labs on board

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...

When all other friends
desert, he remains."

....and digs up your garden, barks until the neighbors are ready to kill you,
greets visitors by jumping on their car doors and scratching them, craps
anywhere it pleases, and generally smells like a kitchen trash can full of
chicken wrappers that nobody bothered to take out to the garbage can.

Curtis CCR September 19th 03 09:17 PM

Labs on board

"DJ" wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't think either of our dogs cared much for boating. I am sure
they only willingly went along because it beat the alternative.
However our briard really liked swimming. We put him in a PFD with
the handle on the back. He weighed about 70 lbs. so I was usually
responsible for pulling him up onto the swim platform. He would
attempt to use the ladder, and a few times managed to climb up it on
his own. I did't like him doing that - it looked too easy for him to
get hurt.

noah September 20th 03 05:50 AM

Labs on board

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:49:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
. com...

When all other friends
desert, he remains."

...and digs up your garden, barks until the neighbors are ready to kill you,
greets visitors by jumping on their car doors and scratching them, craps
anywhere it pleases, and generally smells like a kitchen trash can full of
chicken wrappers that nobody bothered to take out to the garbage can.

You're just jealous that *you* can't get away with all that stuff!!
:o)
noah

Wildest Dream September 21st 03 11:17 AM

Labs on board

where doe's the dog go to the bathroom on the boat? I had mine on board
acually my wife's dog and my daughter put him in the cabin and thank god she
put down a towel cause he went right in the middle of the floor and tracked
it all over the towel. I prut him in the water and washed him up and threw
out the towel. Tried him one more time and he crapped on the swim platform,
he's getting closer to where I want it , off the boat. I hated to have to
clean that up for all the world to see, than I had the smell in the garbage,
I would have trown it in the water put too many people around and in my boat
were swimming in the water. He now stays home. P.S. I have fish.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
m...

Bill Cole September 21st 03 12:16 PM

Labs on board

My dog used to whine when he had to go for a walk. I would open the transom
door, he would swim ashore, go the bathroom and then swim back to the boat.
The only problem is would then whine and scratch at the hatch, because I
would not let him go down below until he had dried off

I know many boaters use a piece of astro turf to allow them to go the
bathroom on the Astroturf and then wash the Astroturf off in the water.

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message
. net...
where doe's the dog go to the bathroom on the boat? I had mine on board
acually my wife's dog and my daughter put him in the cabin and thank god

she
put down a towel cause he went right in the middle of the floor and

tracked
it all over the towel. I prut him in the water and washed him up and threw
out the towel. Tried him one more time and he crapped on the swim

platform,
he's getting closer to where I want it , off the boat. I hated to have to
clean that up for all the world to see, than I had the smell in the

garbage,
I would have trown it in the water put too many people around and in my

boat
were swimming in the water. He now stays home. P.S. I have fish.

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
m...

Keith September 21st 03 12:59 PM

Labs on board

I've seen boaters train their dog to go on a piece of astroturf, then just
hang it over the side attached by a rope to clean it off while underway.
Personally, I don't allow pets on board, unless they're the two legged
variety!

[...]

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
m...

Capt. Frank Hopkins September 22nd 03 01:51 AM

Labs on board

Hi Dionysus,

Beaver chuckles aside, I have a section on my website about your pet and
boat.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks/solas.html

Have a look.

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter September 22nd 03 03:10 PM

Labs on board

wrote:

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
. com...

When all other friends
desert, he remains."

...and digs up your garden, barks until the neighbors are ready to kill

you,
greets visitors by jumping on their car doors and scratching them, craps
anywhere it pleases, and generally smells like a kitchen trash can full

of
chicken wrappers that nobody bothered to take out to the garbage can.

You're just jealous that *you* can't get away with all that stuff!!
:o)
noah

Well....I *did* hump my neighbor's mailbox yesterday.

Doug Kanter September 22nd 03 03:12 PM

Labs on board

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message
. net...
where doe's the dog go to the bathroom on the boat? I had mine on board
acually my wife's dog and my daughter put him in the cabin and thank god

she
put down a towel cause he went right in the middle of the floor and

tracked
it all over the towel.

If it's your wife's dog, how come SHE didn't clean up after the silly
creature???

Curtis CCR September 22nd 03 07:18 PM

Labs on board

"Kevin Anderson" wrote in message .net...
The pet stores sell those "wee wee" pads for training puppies. They are
pretty large.

Our dogs would use the "wee-wee" pads. Scotch, being a decent sized
male that pee'd without squatting, would sometimes miss the pad.
However he seldom ended up in that situation - both of our dogs could
go several hours between "bio breaks". There were times we would
force him outside because he would go so long without "asking". When
the weather was bad he would look out the door and retreat as if to
say, "I can hold it until it stops raining." We would order him out
sometimes...

"Look! You've been in the house for 10 hours! That can't be healthy!
Now go OUTSIDE and pee on something!"

We dinghyed the dogs to shore four or five times a day when we were
out on the hook or something. Sounds like a lot, but over a 24 hour
period, it isn't that bad. First thing in the morning, a couple of
times during the day, and then a trip before bedtime. That doesn't
work, of course, if you are too far from shore or conditions make
going in the dinghy a little risky (under those conditions - there
wouldn't likely be people swimming around the boat so I wouldn't be
too concered about washing anything overboard).

I don't have any heartache with picking up the solid waste and putting
it down the head. I don't think dog crap has any detrimental effect
on my lectra-san. Peggy will probably pipe up now and ruin my day -
there's probably something in dog crap that will make my lectra san
run backward or something.... with my luck. :-)

If you are not willing to deal with this, don't take your dog boating.
In fact, if you are not willing to deal with cleaning up after you
dog, please don't take it anywhere. Parks, sidewalks, highway
reststops, wherever - you should be cleaning up after you dog no
matter where you take it. Why should it be any different on your
boat. Heck! we have a baby on the way. Starting in January, cleaning
up after a dog is going to seem like a pretty light chore.

We are dogless right now. We lost our 14 year old keeshond on
February, and our briard in June at 12 years. I have told my wife
that I really don't miss cleaning up the yard every other day. That
doesn't keep us from wanting another dog - but I think I will lobby
for only having one.

"Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty
without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices. This praise, which
would be unmeaning Flattery, if inscribed over human ashes, is but
just a Tribute to the Memory of BOTSWAIN, a dog." – John Cam
Hobhouse