BoatBanter.com

-   -   Boat speed calculator update (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/106884-boat-speed-calculator-update.html)

[email protected] June 12th 09 01:12 AM

Boat speed calculator update

Hey all

I’ve updated the boat calculator it now includes planing and semi-
displacement hulls and some new dynamic charts to play with.

http://www.psychosnail.com/BoatSpeedCalculator.aspx

Thanks for all the feedback on the last version. Let me know if you
have any comments, questions etc.
This now includes formula’s from Wyman, Crouch and Gerr.

ryanonthebeach

Andy Champ[_2_] June 12th 09 08:35 PM

wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback on the last version. Let me know if you
have any comments, questions etc.

One piece of feedback.

This newsgroup almost entirely deals with sailing boats. You tell me
how fast my planing hull can go with a given SHP. I don't have any such
measurement, nor do most people here.

I've cross-posted this (and set follow ups to) rec.boats.racing.POWER
where there might be more interest.

Andy

ryanonthebeach[_2_] July 29th 09 07:35 PM

Boat speed calculator update

Andy

The calculator takes care of sailboats and different types of power
boats, namely planing and semi-displacement.
So yes you can work out speed with a given HP, just select planing
hull type and follow the steps.

http://www.psychosnail.com/BoatSpeedCalculator.aspx

I'll be updating the calculator in a month or so with two additional
sections, engine selection, and propeller sizing.
Calculating the correct propeller isn't quite as easy as it sounds,
but the first step is to work out your boat speed (or resistance) and
the power required for a desired speed of your particular hull type.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions comments.

Andy Champ[_2_] August 3rd 09 09:34 PM

ryanonthebeach wrote:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions comments.

Why didn't you read the post I made, that you replied to?

Andy