BoatBanter.com

-   -   Flare launched radar reflector (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/106630-flare-launched-radar-reflector.html)

Frogwatch June 5th 09 04:30 AM

Flare launched radar reflector

Hmmmm, I found a web site where you can buy shotgun shells that fire
everyhting from slugs to pyrotechnics. So, why not a corner cube
unfolding radar reflector launched from a 12 guage flare gun for day
use? Give it a parachute and it'd fall slowly enough to be maybe
seen..

Vic Smith June 5th 09 04:42 AM

Flare launched radar reflector

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 20:30:31 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Hmmmm, I found a web site where you can buy shotgun shells that fire
everyhting from slugs to pyrotechnics. So, why not a corner cube
unfolding radar reflector launched from a 12 guage flare gun for day
use? Give it a parachute and it'd fall slowly enough to be maybe
seen..

hmmmm. Doubt you'll get enough air time.
But how about this?
Life raft kit RADAR reflecting kite.
Might already be a patent.
If not, it's yours.
I'll just think of something else.

--Vic

Richard Casady June 5th 09 03:03 PM

wrote:

Hmmmm, I found a web site where you can buy shotgun shells that fire
everyhting from slugs to pyrotechnics. So, why not a corner cube
unfolding radar reflector launched from a 12 guage flare gun for day
use? Give it a parachute and it'd fall slowly enough to be maybe
seen..

They have this. It is called chaff, tiny threads of aluminized mylar.
Some planes can cut the stuff to the tuned length, which varies.
It falls very slowly, maybe slower that a parachute, depending.

Casady