Default Charging the battery -- how long is okay?

I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The charger
has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay for
me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that I
usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger is
left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

HK HK is offline

BetaB4 wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The charger
has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay for
me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that I
usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger is
left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No. Not unless the charger shuts down automatically when the battery is
charged, and then, not unless you have tested that feature.

HK wrote:
BetaB4 wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it
okay for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a
location that I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it
okay if the charger is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No. Not unless the charger shuts down automatically when the battery is
charged, and then, not unless you have tested that feature.

Will wonders never cease. Harry actually answered a boating question
correctly.

On May 13, 3:54*pm, jim78565 wrote:
HK wrote:
BetaB4 wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. *The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it
okay for me to leave the charger on? *My boat is in a garage at a
location that I usually only get to about once a week or so. *Is it
okay if the charger is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No. Not unless the charger shuts down automatically when the battery is
charged, and then, not unless you have tested that feature.

Will wonders never cease. Harry actually answered a boating question
correctly.

That's because he's seen that answer here before! Mechanical engineer
my ass!

jim78565 wrote:
HK wrote:
BetaB4 wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it
okay for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a
location that I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it
okay if the charger is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No. Not unless the charger shuts down automatically when the battery
is charged, and then, not unless you have tested that feature.

Will wonders never cease. Harry actually answered a boating question
correctly.

Actually, if any of the boating mags run an article about a subject, he
can understand the basics.
--
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.

This Newsgroup post is a natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in
no way are to be considered flaws or defects

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay
for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that
I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger
is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No.

Get yourself a 3 stage charger. Bulk, absorption and float modes.
They are inexpensive ..... a 10 amp version costs about 30 bucks.

It will automatically charge and then maintain the charge as required for as
long as your want and will not overcharge, causing water loss.

Those old fashioned voltage controlled chargers should be taken off the
market. The new types are cheap and work much, much better.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay
for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location
that I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the
charger is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

No.

Get yourself a 3 stage charger. Bulk, absorption and float modes.
They are inexpensive ..... a 10 amp version costs about 30 bucks.

It will automatically charge and then maintain the charge as required for
as long as your want and will not overcharge, causing water loss.

Those old fashioned voltage controlled chargers should be taken off the
market. The new types are cheap and work much, much better.

Eisboch

I should add, however,

The only disadvantage I've seen with some of the "smart", 3 stage chargers
is that if your battery is really run down some of them will kick off and
give you an error code indicating that it cannot charge. This is usually
when the battery has been depleted to the point where the voltage is 5 or 6
volts or less.

It doesn't mean the battery cannot be recovered, however. In this case,
the old fashioned, voltage controlled chargers have a purpose. Charge it
for about 1/2 hour to an hour with the old fashioned charger, then switch
over to the smart charger. The old fashioned charger will raise the
battery potential high enough that the microprocessor controlled smart
charger can be .... smart.

Eisboch

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay
for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that
I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger
is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

Get an automatic charger that shuts off when the battery is full. I also
use a wall timer and set it for 12 hours and remove the "ON" clip and
manually turn on the timer and 12 hours later it turns off, preventing the
charger from running until you reset it. Before I had the auto timer I
cooked a couple of batteries. The Automatic model I have now, does not need
the timer.

Thank you all. Well, I sure am glad I posted the question. I am now in the
middle of looking online for battery chargers to see what is available, what
they cost, where to buy them, etc. Over the next few days, I'll check some
auto parts stores to see what hey sell. Obviously, I need a charger that I
can leave on and not have to worry about the battery being overcharged.

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay
for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that
I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger
is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:35:11 -0400, "BetaB4"
wrote:

Thank you all. Well, I sure am glad I posted the question. I am now in the
middle of looking online for battery chargers to see what is available, what
they cost, where to buy them, etc. Over the next few days, I'll check some
auto parts stores to see what hey sell. Obviously, I need a charger that I
can leave on and not have to worry about the battery being overcharged.

The cheapest solution if you already have a 2 amp charger is to put an
automatic timer on it as gfretwell suggested.

Long sidtance battery charging Hobbs Cruising 11 October 24th 06 09:18 PM
Battery charging John W. Bienko ASA 29 June 5th 06 10:26 PM
Battery charging Thom Stewart ASA 0 June 4th 06 04:41 AM
Battery charging, have I got this right? Stephen Trapani Cruising 10 March 26th 06 08:41 AM
Battery charging Michael Remski General 11 October 11th 03 01:11 AM