BoatBanter.com

-   -   Anyone recognize this fish? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/103064-anyone-recognize-fish.html)

Wayne.B February 28th 09 05:49 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

Seen yesterday in the bayou behind Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island,
length about 15 to 18 inches.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1153/dsc0821.jpg

There were a lot of them.

More Sanibel info he

http://www.tamure.com/sanibel.htm

John H[_2_] February 28th 09 06:09 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:49:06 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

Seen yesterday in the bayou behind Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island,
length about 15 to 18 inches.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1153/dsc0821.jpg

There were a lot of them.

More Sanibel info he

http://www.tamure.com/sanibel.htm

Looks like a dogfish to me.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/Sharks/Dogfish.jpg
--
John H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

Wayne.B February 28th 09 06:48 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:36:34 -0600, thunder
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:49:06 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

Seen yesterday in the bayou behind Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island,
length about 15 to 18 inches.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1153/dsc0821.jpg

There were a lot of them.

From the picture, it looks like a mullet.

I think you're right. There were others, further away, that were
jumping like mullet.

Wayne.B February 28th 09 06:51 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:09:58 -0500, John H
wrote:

Looks like a dogfish to me.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/Sharks/Dogfish.jpg

Probably not although that was my wife's first reaction also. I've
caught dogfish sharks. These were much smaller and the fins/gills
weren't right among other things.

John H[_2_] February 28th 09 07:08 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

wrote:

Looks like a dogfish to me.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/Sharks/Dogfish.jpg

Probably not although that was my wife's first reaction also. I've
caught dogfish sharks. These were much smaller and the fins/gills
weren't right among other things.

Yup, I think you're right. Size-wize, a mullet is about right,
especially if they were jumping and schooling.

Catch one and smoke it. If it tastes like smoked mullet, then you know
you've got it properly named!

Frogwatch February 28th 09 07:24 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

wrote:

Looks like a dogfish to me.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/Sharks/Dogfish.jpg

Probably not although that was my wife's first reaction also. I've
caught dogfish sharks. These were much smaller and the fins/gills
weren't right among other things.

Yup, I think you're right. Size-wize, a mullet is about right,
especially if they were jumping and schooling.

Catch one and smoke it. If it tastes like smoked mullet, then you know
you've got it properly named!
--
John H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

Mullet, now all you need is cheese grits and hushpuppies.

John H[_2_] February 28th 09 07:54 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

wrote:

Looks like a dogfish to me.

http://www.boydski.com/diving/photos/Sharks/Dogfish.jpg

Probably not although that was my wife's first reaction also. I've
caught dogfish sharks. These were much smaller and the fins/gills
weren't right among other things.

Yup, I think you're right. Size-wize, a mullet is about right,
especially if they were jumping and schooling.

Catch one and smoke it. If it tastes like smoked mullet, then you know
you've got it properly named!
--
John H

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

Mullet, now all you need is cheese grits and hushpuppies.

I love cheese grits. I just wish they were calorie free. Damn they're
good with fried eggs, yolk runny. Oh man

Wayne.B February 28th 09 10:18 PM

Anyone recognize this fish?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:24:03 -0500, wrote:

Wayne, you really gotta get up in the skinny water a little more.

Heh, usually I'm trying to stay out of it. We were on foot out at
Sanibel yesterday.

Mike[_10_] March 1st 09 04:51 AM

Anyone recognize this fish?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
Seen yesterday in the bayou behind Bowman's Beach on Sanibel Island,
length about 15 to 18 inches.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1153/dsc0821.jpg

There were a lot of them.

More Sanibel info he

http://www.tamure.com/sanibel.htm

My step-father's parents owned two condos on Sanibel. We visited there a few
times when I was a teen. Sadly, they sold them to help fund their
retirement, and that was that. It's a beautiful place. Mosquito capital of
the world as well if I remember correctly. You never read that in the
brochures. :-)

--Mike