BoatBanter.com

-   -   cruising from toronto to montreal....... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/101956-cruising-toronto-montreal.html)

~^ beancounter ~^ January 26th 09 02:27 PM

cruising from toronto to montreal.......

anyone ever sailed/crused from toronto, up the st lawarence to
brockville to montreal to quebec past anticosti island?......whats it
like? how was the weather, ice, etc?.......lost of diesel along the
way?....thanx......

Don White January 26th 09 02:45 PM

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in message
anyone ever sailed/crused from toronto, up the st lawarence to
brockville to montreal to quebec past anticosti island?......whats it
like? how was the weather, ice, etc?.......lost of diesel along the
way?....thanx......

What time of year are you planning to do this? I don't think you have to
worry too much about ice as the Seaway is usually closed in the winter.
I've never done the trip but I'd think your biggest concern might be
commercial traffic and sailing through the Thousand Islands area might be
worth the price of admission alone.

Jim Willemin January 26th 09 03:08 PM

cruising from toronto to montreal.......

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in news:c22837e9-d57f-
:

anyone ever sailed/crused from toronto, up the st lawarence to
brockville to montreal to quebec past anticosti island?......whats it
like? how was the weather, ice, etc?.......lost of diesel along the
way?....thanx......

Um... you *are* going to wait till May, right? At the moment, I expect it
is a delightful frozen hellscape, and all the marinas are closed up tight.
Besides, the ice fishermen might get miffed. Anyhow, never done it, but
the Thousand Islands are pretty, and there are lots of marinas on the US
side (Alex Bay, Ogdensburg, Massena are the good-sized towns, lots of
little ones between). Should be a real nice trip - winds are usually
westerly - I'd wait till May for the weather, unless you like the chance of
frost in the morning and the odd late snowstorm.

[email protected] January 26th 09 08:20 PM

cruising from toronto to montreal.......

On Jan 26, 9:45*am, "Don White" wrote:
"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in ...

anyone ever sailed/crused from toronto, up the st lawarence to
brockville to montreal to quebec past anticosti island?......whats it
like? how was the weather, ice, etc?.......lost of diesel along the
way?....thanx......

What time of year are you planning to do this? * *I don't think you have to
worry too much about ice as the Seaway is usually closed in the winter.
I've never done the trip but I'd think your biggest concern might be
commercial traffic and sailing through the Thousand Islands area might be
worth the price of admission alone.

but I'd think your biggest concern might be
commercial traffic and sailing through the Thousand Islands area might
be
worth the price of admission alone.

Absolutely. Gotta do that myself someday.....

[email protected] January 26th 09 08:21 PM

cruising from toronto to montreal.......

On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:
no imediate plans....i can go anytime during the year...
it looks like 15 - 20 days should be enough time...i
am guessin' the best/warmest would be june - aug
window?......most ice gone by june?

LOL.......most ice gone by april

Wayne.B January 27th 09 01:20 PM

cruising from toronto to montreal.......

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:27:07 -0800 (PST), "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

anyone ever sailed/crused from toronto, up the st lawarence to
brockville to montreal to quebec past anticosti island?......whats it
like? how was the weather, ice, etc?.......lost of diesel along the
way?....thanx......

We did that trip 8 years ago but went via the Rideau Canal north of
Kingston. The Thousand Islands are definitely worth a visit but the
St Lawrence River gets fairly boring after that. The Rideau Canal
and Ottawa River are a great cruise but you'll need to unstep the mast
at Kingston.