BoatBanter.com

-   -   Coated bullets (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/101194-coated-bullets.html)

Frogwatch December 31st 08 07:08 AM

Coated bullets

OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. Is this why they coat some
with copper? Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

Boater[_3_] December 31st 08 11:43 AM

Coated bullets

Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. Is this why they coat some
with copper? Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

Manufacturers of shotgun ammunition have been transitioning to steel
shot for some years now. Also, one of the pleasures of having decent
firearms is breaking them down or field stripping them to clean them.
Cleaning copper fouling out of a gun barrel is not a tedious,
time-consuming or difficult task. I field strip my guns every time I
shoot them. Doing so keeps me familiar with their innards and workings,
and allows me to examine everything for wear or damage. I suspect anyone
who would spend what you mentioned charging for a shotgun choke is doing
the same.

If memory serves, at least one of my chokes is made of titanium, or is
titanium coated, or something like that. Does that make any sense?

Richard Casady December 31st 08 01:40 PM

Coated bullets

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:08:24 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. Is this why they coat some
with copper? Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

I happen to have a bag of copper plated shot. The idea to increase the
surface hardness so that the shot will be deformed less by the shock
of firing. The rounder shot fly straighter. As for cheap, coated shot
do cost more, but its not a showstopper.

Casady

Boater[_3_] December 31st 08 01:46 PM

Coated bullets

wrote:

OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. Is this why they coat some
with copper? Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

I happen to have a bag of copper plated shot. The idea to increase the
surface hardness so that the shot will be deformed less by the shock
of firing. The rounder shot fly straighter. As for cheap, coated shot
do cost more, but its not a showstopper.

Casady

You creep out onto the pond and whack the duckies with the bag of shot?

Wait...you reload your hulls?

Wow.

[email protected] December 31st 08 01:57 PM

Coated bullets

On Dec 31, 6:43*am, Boater wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. *Is this why they coat some
with copper? *Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

Manufacturers of shotgun ammunition have been transitioning to steel
shot for some years now. Also, one of the pleasures of having decent
firearms is breaking them down or field stripping them to clean them.
Cleaning copper fouling out of a gun barrel is not a tedious,
time-consuming or difficult task. I field strip my guns every time I
shoot them.

You field strip your guns after every shot??

Doing so keeps me familiar with their innards and workings,
and allows me to examine everything for wear or damage. I suspect anyone
who would spend what you mentioned charging for a shotgun choke is doing
the same.

This from the guy that won't take the cover off of his outboard motor
because he's afraid of the technology.

Frogwatch December 31st 08 02:32 PM

Coated bullets

On Dec 31, 9:25 am, Gene Kearns
wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 06:43:39 -0500, Boater penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Likely a Titanium Nitride coating. That stuff will stand up to the
abuse of steel shot....

--
Agent 5.00 Build 1171

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did
do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the
safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Unknown
-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*
-----------------

Ti is harder than most Al so it might be Titanium. Titaniun Nitride
or TiNi is also very hard but normally is only found as coatings. It
has a pretty gold color so if your choke inside is gold colored.....

Tim December 31st 08 03:21 PM

Coated bullets

On Dec 31, 1:08*am, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. *Is this why they coat some
with copper? *Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

I have a box of teflon coated .357 mag hololow points.

They only thing they'll foul is what they hit!

Richard Casady December 31st 08 04:35 PM

Coated bullets

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:40:28 GMT, Richard Casady penned the following

wrote:

OK, I hear that lead bullets foul barrels. Is this why they coat some
with copper? Why not coat shotgun shot with copper, its easy and
cheap?

I happen to have a bag of copper plated shot. The idea to increase the
surface hardness so that the shot will be deformed less by the shock
of firing. The rounder shot fly straighter. As for cheap, coated shot
do cost more, but its not a showstopper.

Casady

Nah....... the antimony content in lead shot is what imparts hardness.
The copper is there only as a coating to prevent oxidation.

Of course, that applies only to the *coating* on shotgun pellets
versus the *jacket* found on bullets....

Copper is much harder than any lead alloy and is there to make the
shot harder, which tightens patterns. If it doesn't, than why is it
illegal for skeet? If the old style paper hulls get soaked enough to
corrode the shot, the ammo is already ruined. Modern plastic is, in
many cases, airtight. They weld up the tiny hole at the center of the
crimped mouth. Much target ammo gets shot the week it is loaded.
In any case, nobody in the right mind stores most things under wet
conditions.

Casady

D K[_2_] January 1st 09 03:00 AM

Coated bullets

No. It's pure bull****.

Richard Casady January 1st 09 01:57 PM

Coated bullets

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:39:22 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:23:55 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I'm 300 feet from the AICW to the North and 1/2 mile from the Atlantic
Ocean to the South...... *nothing* stays really *dry* here.

I was in DC and lead bullets would "chalk" up on me. If I wasn't going
to shoot them right away I only bought jacked or copper clad ammo.

I believe you, why would you lie, but the only chalked lead I have
seen came with a century old leather shot pouch. You should store the
stuff in, of all things, an ammo can. GI fifty cal cans are used to
store the other smaller types as well. The lid clamps down on a rubber
gasket. Get some silica gel packets to put in with the ammo. Are you
sure if it really matters if you shoot the corroded stuff? Badly
corroded cases could be weakened but bullets? For what its worth
either fine steel wool, or a Scotchbrite pad should easily remove that
lead carbonate.

Casady

Casady