BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Ethernet (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/99868-ethernet.html)

Wayne.B November 12th 08 02:00 PM

Ethernet

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:02:26 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

If you know a source for the multi wire 16
ga cable, please let me know.

http://www.multicable.com/request_info.asp

Bruce in alaska November 12th 08 07:42 PM

Ethernet

wrote:

If you know a source for the multi wire 16
ga cable, please let me know.

http://www.multicable.com/request_info.asp

The Big Time Telco Wire Suppliers have such stuff. Sprint/North Supply
is where I get my Telco Wire.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Børge Wedel Müller January 12th 09 09:31 PM

Ethernet

Hi group

Just thinking. I good fluxgate compass is running at least 10HZ, directly to
the wheel/autopilot.

Most other NMEA devices need a similar update frekvens.

Will at NMES/seriel to ethernet system, be able to be fast enough to colect
all the data, forward them, and decode them into seriel again, in a "timely"
matter (that is probaply sub 0.1sec??)

Or what do you think?

sincerely
/Børge

"Meindert Sprang" skrev i meddelelsen
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Colin,
I completely agree. There has been a recent thread in this NG on this
very
subject. See www.gridconnect.com Their serial to Ethernet gateway
products
should be just what you are looking for and they are DC powered.

If I am correct, all of these products only offer a serial point to point
connection over ethernet, which seems quite pointless to me when you want
distribute NMEA from instruments to ANY device on the net. None of these
devices offer the possibility to *broadcast* NMEA data to any device on
the
net who wants to receive it.

Oh and one other thing: on commercial vessels, including luxurious
megayachts, you will not find standard cheap CAT5 cable because that will
not pass any marine/industrial regulation. The sort of cable used is much
more expensive and meets all sorts of requirements for mechanical,
chemical
and fire resistance not found in the usual PC/networking market.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang January 13th 09 08:57 AM

Ethernet

"Børge Wedel Müller" wrote in message
Hi group

Just thinking. I good fluxgate compass is running at least 10HZ, directly

the wheel/autopilot.

Most other NMEA devices need a similar update frekvens.

Will at NMES/seriel to ethernet system, be able to be fast enough to

colect
all the data, forward them, and decode them into seriel again, in a

"timely"
matter (that is probaply sub 0.1sec??)

Yes, but only if you can configure the serial/ethernet gateway to send a
frame when a CR/LF is received. This will result in an ethernet frame per
NMEA sentence. If you don't do this, the gateway could collect as much NMEA
data to fill a reasonably sized ethernet frame 1000-1500 bytes and then send
it off. This would result in very irregular heading information.

Meindert

Larry January 14th 09 03:14 AM

Ethernet

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.i****chdogs.com/DataSheets/WF111803.pdf

That's probably what ours does. I've never seen the data coming into
The Cap'n through the virtual serial port on a Dell Latitude laptop balk
over the wifi. The serial port on the webfoot is plugged into the
serial port on a Noland NMEA multiplexer. The Webfoot ethernet port
feeds a port on an old Netgear wifi router. The data is fast and smooth
even at the other end of the dock! The Cap'n thinks it has COM4 hooked
to it, when in reality its via wifi.

Caused quite a stir the first time I took it into the yacht club bar
running. Now you can even see the AIS plotted on it!