BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   simple NMEA display (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/98394-simple-nmea-display.html)

Daniele Fua[_2_] September 30th 08 05:24 PM

simple NMEA display

Moonshadow ha scritto:
Wayne.B wrote:

I think what you are looking for is a CruzPro RP-60 Intelligent NMEA
0183 Remote Data Repeater:

http://www.mpsadventurer.com/cruzpro...a_repeater.htm

http://www.mpsadventurer.com/cruz%20prices.pdf

It seems reasonably priced at about $200 USD. I don't think you
could build anything cheaper than that considering development costs
and equipment.

FWIW, I have been using one of these for the last couple of years. It
has performed as advertised, and the manufacturer was responsive to my
queries.

Yes, this is a good suggestion. Actually more like the CruzPro RP-110 at
$260 which has the 4 lines I am looking for.
Following previous advices, I have sorted out the parallax combination
that would fit my needs and found that it would cost about 110$.
I have also checked that it is indeed well within my hardware/software
skills.

Thank to all of you, now I have enough information to decide.
The point now is whether I have leisure time and will to build my own
device and whether it is worth the $150 difference.

With the skyrocketing stock exchange crisis probably yes but I'll see...
:-)

Thank you again
Daniel

Luc Habert September 30th 08 05:31 PM

simple NMEA display

Daniele Fua :

Following previous advices, I have sorted out the parallax combination
that would fit my needs and found that it would cost about 110$.

Does it include a waterproof case? I didn't find any on parallax's website.

Luc Habert September 30th 08 05:34 PM

simple NMEA display

"Meindert Sprang" :

One minor correction: TackTick does not use Wifi to communicate.

My bad. BTW, the large TackTick units can display at most two data
simultaneously, but there is a remote control, which, apart from enabling
you to switch the data displayed, has a screen on which it displays a large
number of data simulateously.

Daniele Fua[_2_] September 30th 08 08:46 PM

simple NMEA display

Luc Habert ha scritto:
Daniele Fua :

Following previous advices, I have sorted out the parallax combination
that would fit my needs and found that it would cost about 110$.

Does it include a waterproof case? I didn't find any on parallax's website.

You are right, I did not take this into account. Now that you raised the
point I think I will probably fit it into the box of some old "retired"
marine instrument off my drawers.

Daniel