BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Connecting Up Battery (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/86589-connecting-up-battery.html)

CS September 27th 07 07:18 AM

Connecting Up Battery

I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

TVMIA

Gibbo September 27th 07 07:48 AM

Connecting Up Battery

CS wrote:
I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

TVMIA

Can you do a diagram of what you have because it's either too late (I've
been programming all night) or what you wrote above doesn't make sense.

F'erinstance, an end cell should not be connected with a pos and neg to
its neighbour.

--
Gibbo

In accordance with our company policy of minimum environmental impact
this post was made entirely with the 100% recycled electron.

Guy Morgan September 27th 07 09:44 AM

Connecting Up Battery

In message , Gibbo
writes
CS wrote:
I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:
a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.
TVMIA

Can you do a diagram of what you have because it's either too late
(I've been programming all night) or what you wrote above doesn't make
sense.

F'erinstance, an end cell should not be connected with a pos and neg to
its neighbour.

If he's got 12 x 2v cells at a guess it's a series parallel 12v set-up

Guy
--
Guy Morgan
nb Virgo, WFB, Stockton GU

Paul E. Bennett September 27th 07 07:28 PM

Connecting Up Battery

CS wrote:

I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

TVMIA

Careful here. There are some cells around that have four posts per module
and are, in fact, two 2V cells in the same wrapper. You will probably need
to do some probing on the terminals with a multimeter to determine what the
connection pattern for the posts is. Often they are completely separate but
occasionally you may find some internally linked.

Paul E.
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095

Uncle Marvo October 1st 07 12:02 PM

Connecting Up Battery

, I, Marvo, say :

I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

Looks like this thread's become nothing much to do with the subject in hand.

:-)

Gibbo October 1st 07 12:05 PM

Connecting Up Battery

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo, say :

I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide. Cells each have 4 terminals - 2
pos and 2 neg. I intend taking off 2 x 70mm power feeds. On the end
cells only 1 pos and 1 neg terminal is used to connect it to its
neighbour. Should I:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

Looks like this thread's become nothing much to do with the subject in hand.

:-)

We're digressing whilst he gets round to posting the diagram we need in
order to answer his question.

Will Chapman October 1st 07 12:23 PM

Connecting Up Battery

Uncle Marvo wrote:

a. take a pos and neg feed from each end.
b. take only the 2 pos feeds from one end and the 2 neg feeds from
the other end.

Looks like this thread's become nothing much to do with the subject in hand.

:-)

Not much has changed since I've been away then......;)

--

Will Chapman
Save Our Waterways

Richard Casady October 2nd 07 03:47 PM

Connecting Up Battery

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:18:18 -0700, CS wrote:

I have a domestic battery made up of 12 2v cells laid side to side -
so total length 2.15m x 3.18m wide.

I have trouble visualizing this battery. You say 2.15 meters by 3.16
meters. 72 square feet of battery tops?
Doing the math, the area of the tops of the cells are just over six
square feet each, including whatever free space there is between
cells. Somewhat larger than the ones in an average submarine.
Interesting.

Casady

CS October 2nd 07 06:04 PM

Connecting Up Battery

I have trouble visualizing this battery. You say 2.15 meters by 3.16
meters. 72 square feet of battery tops?

Oops decimal point - 0.318m wide!!!

Nick Atty October 2nd 07 07:02 PM

Connecting Up Battery

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:04:25 -0700, CS wrote:

I have trouble visualizing this battery. You say 2.15 meters by 3.16
meters. 72 square feet of battery tops?

Oops decimal point - 0.318m wide!!!

This, of course, is why the metric system is far better than the
imperial one.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon