BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   How many amps to start this unit? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/80410-how-many-amps-start-unit.html)

thatboatguy May 6th 07 03:22 PM

How many amps to start this unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0265372&rd=1,1

What size generator would be needed to run this?

George

Denny May 7th 07 01:16 PM

On May 6, 10:22 am, thatboatguy wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&ih=015&sspag...

What size generator would be needed to run this?

George

Two questions: How many watts to start the compressor, and how much to
run it?
Well, it is 14 amps at 117 volts... So you do the math:
(14 X 117) = ?
(and a starting factor) X 2.0 = ??

Given that generator ratings are gloriously optimistic, I would want
5KW minimum on a hot and still Carribean night...

denny

[email protected] May 8th 07 01:27 AM

How many amps to start this unit?

On May 6, 10:22 am, thatboatguy wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m&ih=015&sspag...

What size generator would be needed to run this?

George

George, you should be aware that Ocean Marine is no longer in business
and it may tough to get parts. I have an OM A/C in my boat and found
out the hard way when the control box crapped out a few years ago. I
was able to find a local guy who was able to retrofit another brand of
control box to get the A/C working again.

keith