BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Are new parallel gps-receiver anchor alarms substantially faster than "old" serial ones? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/79514-new-parallel-gps-receiver-anchor-alarms-substantially-faster-than-old-serial-ones.html)

Len March 30th 07 10:43 AM

Are new parallel gps-receiver anchor alarms substantially faster than "old" serial ones?

We plan on anchoring out a lot and we would like an anchor-alarm that
is as fast and accurate as possible.

I plan on using my Simrad RS5800 GPS as an anchor alarm. I like it
cause of it's external relais possibilty, a feature I can't really
find in the newer receivers.

Would a new 12 channel, parallel receiver provide better results? I
mean better in terms of
1. accuracy (due to waas, dgps, etc)
2. speed (as in earlier releasing the alarm due to faster
calculations)

Thanks in advance.

Fair winds,
Len.