BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Ultrasonic wind sensor + Raymarine ST-60 (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/79276-ultrasonic-wind-sensor-raymarine-st-60-a.html)

[email protected] March 21st 07 07:17 PM

Ultrasonic wind sensor + Raymarine ST-60

Has anyone tried connecting the Airmar PB100 to a Raymarine ST-60?
I'm wondering if the ST-60 will pick up the NMEA 0183 sentences from
the Airmar and function as if it were connected to a standard wind
vane or whether it actually needs the wind vane sensors.

Gordon Wedman March 21st 07 11:53 PM

Ultrasonic wind sensor + Raymarine ST-60

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone tried connecting the Airmar PB100 to a Raymarine ST-60?
I'm wondering if the ST-60 will pick up the NMEA 0183 sentences from
the Airmar and function as if it were connected to a standard wind
vane or whether it actually needs the wind vane sensors.

Seatalk instruments don't pick up NMEA sentences. You need to buy a
converter box from Raymarine or better, get rid of your Raymarine
instruments and get ones that accept NMEA.

[email protected] March 22nd 07 03:19 AM

Ultrasonic wind sensor + Raymarine ST-60

On Mar 21, 6:53 pm, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Has anyone tried connecting theAirmarPB100to a Raymarine ST-60?
I'm wondering if the ST-60 will pick up the NMEA 0183 sentences from
theAirmarand function as if it were connected to a standard wind
vane or whether it actually needs the wind vane sensors.

Seatalk instruments don't pick up NMEA sentences. You need to buy a
converter box from Raymarine or better, get rid of your Raymarine
instruments and get ones that accept NMEA.

Ok, I should have been more specific. I have a converter box. The
question is, can the ST-60 display work with NMEA inputs from the
PB100 instead of the actual wind vane sensor. My guess is not, but I
was asking if anyone had tried. Yes, I'm annoyed with Raymarine -
they are like Microsoft in taking a perfectly good standard and
subverting it into proprietary usage to protect their high prices. I
refuse to go to their even more expensive hsb bus instruments.

Kees Verruijt March 22nd 07 09:40 AM

wrote:

Ok, I should have been more specific. I have a converter box. The
question is, can the ST-60 display work with NMEA inputs from the
PB100 instead of the actual wind vane sensor. My guess is not, but I
was asking if anyone had tried.

How about reading the documentation? It contains a list of NMEA
sentences that it accepts on input (and that it can send on output if
the data is there).

--
Kees

[email protected] March 22nd 07 10:14 AM

On Mar 22, 2:19 pm, wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:53 pm, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I am sorry, who has told you that NMEA 0183 is a perfectley good
standard.
Have you ecer tried to share data across NMEA 0183, let me tell you it
is a nightmare.
NMEA 0183 only travels in one direction, it can't share power, and has
a limited number of sentences. Sorry but SEATALK is what NMEA 0183
should've been, just look at what NMEA 2000 is promising 15 years
after Seatalk was invented!!!!