BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/78297-connecting-my-dvd-rca-jacks-aux-stereo.html)

Geoff Schultz February 14th 07 12:40 AM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get my DVD player to play
through the Aux-Input of my in-dash CD/Stereo. I want to have stereo
output through the stereo instead of utilizing the TV speakers.

The DVD player has RCA jacks for audio output and if I connect them to the
Aux-In of CD player, all that I get is a loud buzz. Connecting it to the
audio input on the TV works fine. Plugging other devices into the Aux-In
is fine, but not the DVD player.

Any suggestions as to what I have to do to make this work?

-- Geoff

joseph February 15th 07 01:05 AM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

Hey Geoff, Sounds like a menu issue with the DVD player to send the
output to the stereo perhaps. If the TV output comes through on the
stereo how about running the DVD player to the TV input then output to
the stereo. We have the Samsung DVD player and the DirecTV receiver
connected that way with no issues. Does the stereo have a aux input
jack on the front for a CD or Ipod? If so try an adapter to go from
the RCA to the small plug. BTW, Where are you. Haven't seen any posts
on &knots. Chuck and Susan S/V Sea Trek

Geoff Schultz February 15th 07 03:22 AM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

The DVD only has RCA jack outputs. It plays fine through the TV but
when we try to play it through the Aux In on the stereo it just
generates a buzz. The TV has no audio outputs. I think that we have
some mis-matched impediances.

-- Geoff

P.S. We're headed to the boat next Wednesday and then you'll see new
7knots logs. We hope that all is well with you & Susan.

"joseph" wrote in
oups.com:

Kees Verruijt February 15th 07 08:02 AM

Geoff Schultz wrote:
The DVD only has RCA jack outputs. It plays fine through the TV but
when we try to play it through the Aux In on the stereo it just
generates a buzz. The TV has no audio outputs. I think that we have
some mis-matched impediances.

Buzzing indicates a ground loop. Mismatched impedance will manifest
itself as weak/loud/distorted sound.

Google for "audio buzz ground loop".

--
Kees

Geoff Schultz February 15th 07 01:20 PM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

Kees Verruijt wrote in news:45d41391$0$333
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:
The DVD only has RCA jack outputs. It plays fine through the TV but
when we try to play it through the Aux In on the stereo it just
generates a buzz. The TV has no audio outputs. I think that we have
some mis-matched impediances.

Buzzing indicates a ground loop. Mismatched impedance will manifest
itself as weak/loud/distorted sound.

Thanks for the pointer. In this case the DVD runs off of the inverter @
120V AC and the stereo runs off of 12V DC. Are you suggesting placing an
isolation transformer on the DVD player?

-- Geoff

b393capt February 15th 07 02:35 PM

Geoff Schultz wrote:
The DVD only has RCA jack outputs. It plays fine through the TV but
when we try to play it through the Aux In on the stereo it just
generates a buzz. The TV has no audio outputs. I think that we have
some mis-matched impediances.

Buzzing indicates a ground loop. Mismatched impedance will manifest
itself as weak/loud/distorted sound.

Thanks for the pointer. In this case the DVD runs off of the inverter @
120V AC and the stereo runs off of 12V DC. Are you suggesting placing an
isolation transformer on the DVD player?

-- Geoff

Use this between the DVD and the stereo:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Dan

Geoff Schultz February 15th 07 03:39 PM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

Use this between the DVD and the stereo:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot when I get to the boat.

-- Geoff

Bill Kearney February 16th 07 02:16 AM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

Any suggestions as to what I have to do to make this work?

Get a 12v DVD player. It's the inverter causing you the trouble. I'm not
at all confident that you'll be able to effectively eliminate it on the
boat. I've got a 12v player in our 348 Vista and it's great. I actually
use the AUX-in on the DVD player to daisy chain input from an iPod.

That and you're likely to get better battery life using a 12v player anyway.
But if the player already uses an external power supply you may be able to
use a DC-to-DC transformer to adapt to whatever voltage it needs. But if
you want to just cut to the chase and get things working I'd dump the
AC/inverter setup and just get a player designed for auto/rv/marine use.

-Bill Kearney

Geoff Schultz February 16th 07 04:22 AM

Connecting my DVD RCA jacks to the Aux-In of the Stereo

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
t:

Any suggestions as to what I have to do to make this work?

Get a 12v DVD player. It's the inverter causing you the trouble. I'm
not at all confident that you'll be able to effectively eliminate it
on the boat. I've got a 12v player in our 348 Vista and it's great.
I actually use the AUX-in on the DVD player to daisy chain input from
an iPod.

That and you're likely to get better battery life using a 12v player
anyway. But if the player already uses an external power supply you
may be able to use a DC-to-DC transformer to adapt to whatever voltage
it needs. But if you want to just cut to the chase and get things
working I'd dump the AC/inverter setup and just get a player designed
for auto/rv/marine use.

-Bill Kearney

I've been through about 3-4 DC based DVD players and haven't found one that
compares to the AC based Sony that I settled on. The Sony plays everything
flawlessly. I'll work on it from the isolation standpoint. If the problem
is a ground loop, it seems that there's no reason to assume that the
isolation transformer won't solve it.

-- Geoff

krj February 16th 07 12:57 PM

Geoff Schultz wrote:
[...]

Do other audio devices work with the stereo on the same input you are
using for the DVD? Maybe the problem is not with the DVD but is with the
stereo.
krj