BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   VHF/GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/76133-vhf-gps.html)

Larry December 3rd 06 05:34 PM

VHF/GPS

Ian Malcolm wrote in
:

What about electrolysis of the unavoidable film of concentrated brine
(from salt crystals in the air + ordinary humidity) producing bleach and
chlorine, both of which degrade many plastics?

I'd believe that, and have seen it, but the powdering of the plastic was
deep down into the solid plastic plug, far away from its surface. The
plastic, itself, must be conductive and the tiny current the DC caused
through it broke down the plastic molecules is the only explanation I could
think of. The disintegration stopped right at the bottom to the metal pins
as I pulled the plug apart in my fingers...

Larry
--
If we eliminate religion, will they stop murdering each other?