BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/71531-hooking-up-laptop-navigation-program-raymarine-tillerpilot.html)

[email protected] July 10th 06 12:04 AM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

Folks:

I have a Panasonic Toughbook with both USB and a real serial port with
an installed copy of Capn ver8.0. Some months ago I purchased a
Rarmarine ST 2000+ tillerpilot, in part due to its ability to receive
naviagation data from the laptop.

Although the tillerpilot works great by itself, it does not want to
talk (or listen?) to the Capn.

To check the wiring of the serial cable, I also ran a copy of Fugawi
4.0, and it works great: the lcd window on the tillerpilot shows the
relevant navigation data being received, and will follow a route quite
well. The GPS is a Holux 231 that connects to a bluetooth receiver
mounted in the card bus--its on com port 5.

Both com ports 1 and 2 were set to 4800, and all the navigation data
is standard NEMA

Has anyone had any luck with a similar set up? Any way to check if
the Capn is sending data out via the serial port? I've got pins 3 and
5 hooked up to the supposed matching pins on the autopilot wiring
conector. and I'm assuming that is working correctly since Fugawi can
talk to it.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Gary

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson July 10th 06 03:12 AM

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:04:44 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I haven't worked with a recent release of CAPN, but the old ones
wanted to send the autopilot output to the same port the GPS was on.
Has that changed?

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at
http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

Dennis Pogson July 10th 06 08:42 AM

wrote:
[...]

Is your laptop/Capn software receiving data from the Holux (on pin 2) ?

[email protected] July 11th 06 01:17 AM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

Dennis, thanks for your reply.

The GPS data comes in via bluetooth com port 5. The Holux 231 sends
out the data, and it is received by a a bluetooth receiver in the card
slot. That has worked well, and shows up both in Capn and Fugawi with
no problem. I just can't figure out how to get Capn to talk to the
autopilot, evn though Fugawi works fine!

Gary

?

[email protected] July 11th 06 01:22 AM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

Glen, thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered that option, though
it is mentioned on the Capn/Maptech web site. It gives me something
to think about, and look into.. Thanks

Larry July 11th 06 12:33 PM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

wrote in news:44b2ef08$1$tobbgu
:

The GPS data comes in via bluetooth com port 5

And The Cap'n, which I don't think will talk to more than one com port (at
least ours won't), is transmitting your data out on Bluetooth through the
same port.....

Now all we need is a Bluetooth Tillerpilot and we'll have a wireless
networked boat!....(c;

That'll be about 2025 as slow as the NMEA bureaucrats respond to changes in
technology. They're still talking RS-422 from 1975....

Larry July 11th 06 12:35 PM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

wrote in news:44b2ef8b$2$tobbgu
:

Has that changed?

Nope....It's still sending data back to its serial port in the 1975 NMEA
multiplexer technology.

Bill Kearney July 12th 06 02:47 PM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

The GPS data comes in via bluetooth com port 5

And The Cap'n, which I don't think will talk to more than one com port (at
least ours won't), is transmitting your data out on Bluetooth through the
same port.....

Now all we need is a Bluetooth Tillerpilot and we'll have a wireless
networked boat!....(c;

Use a Bluetooth to serial converter.

That'll be about 2025 as slow as the NMEA bureaucrats respond to changes

in
technology. They're still talking RS-422 from 1975....

Oh please, quit with the whining about NMEA, willya? It's gotten more than
old....

[email protected] July 12th 06 07:08 PM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

Bill:

thanks for the reply.

Any idea where such a converter might be found?

Gary

Bill Kearney July 13th 06 07:42 PM

hooking up laptop navigation program to Raymarine tillerpilot

STFW perhaps?

http://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+serial