BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Exchanging data between two Garmin GPS receivers? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/71345-exchanging-data-between-two-garmin-gps-receivers.html)

Mika July 4th 06 10:20 AM

Exchanging data between two Garmin GPS receivers?

I have a fixed Garmin 128 GPS receiver onboard. Used to take a
portable computer onboard so at the end on my trip I could donwload
all data about my track, speed etc.

I noticed I could use my handheld Garmin GPS 48 (which is also onboard
as a reserve unit) to transfer route and waypoint information from
boat to home and vice versa, as there is this Garmin propriatary
interface setup. No need to bother with a laptop and serial cable.

All data such as waypoints, track and routes moves fine back and
forth. However, I have not been able to read timestamps of my track
data. Is that possible, and how? Laptop works fine and I can download
time data, but I would rather use just my GPS for data transfer...

Mika

.................................................. .............
A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.

Dennis Pogson July 4th 06 02:21 PM

Mika wrote:
I have a fixed Garmin 128 GPS receiver onboard. Used to take a
portable computer onboard so at the end on my trip I could donwload
all data about my track, speed etc.

I noticed I could use my handheld Garmin GPS 48 (which is also onboard
as a reserve unit) to transfer route and waypoint information from
boat to home and vice versa, as there is this Garmin propriatary
interface setup. No need to bother with a laptop and serial cable.

All data such as waypoints, track and routes moves fine back and
forth. However, I have not been able to read timestamps of my track
data. Is that possible, and how? Laptop works fine and I can download
time data, but I would rather use just my GPS for data transfer...

Mika

.................................................. ............
A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.

Have never tried to transfer data between 2 Garmins, but provided you can
connect them, as they both have the facility for input/output, using packet
transfer (Garmin protocol). On the 48, If you set the i/o to Grmn/Grmn, and
move the cursor down one line and press enter, you get a whole lot of
different options to send/receive data by pressing the up/down keys. You
could make a double-ended 4-pin plug cable.

You July 4th 06 07:07 PM

Exchanging data between two Garmin GPS receivers?

In article , ( Mika) wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:21:03 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Mika wrote:

All data such as waypoints, track and routes moves fine back and
forth. However, I have not been able to read timestamps of my track
data. Is that possible, and how? Laptop works fine and I can download

Have never tried to transfer data between 2 Garmins, but provided you can
connect them, as they both have the facility for input/output, using packet
transfer (Garmin protocol). On the 48, If you set the i/o to Grmn/Grmn, and
move the cursor down one line and press enter, you get a whole lot of
different options to send/receive data by pressing the up/down keys. You
could make a double-ended 4-pin plug cable.

That is how I have done it and works fine. Both receivers in Grmn/Grmn
mode, you can use whichever receiver to initiate either send data or
request data from the other receiver.

Problem is, that once I go home and download track data from handheld
GPS (to which data was transferred as described above), track points
would not have timestamps. If I donwload data directly from the GPS
that made actual "recording", date and time information would be
available.

Mika

A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.

I suspect that the 48 is stripping off the timestamps to save space in
memory, as the Garmin folks typically do that when transfering between
units......