BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/71182-capturing-nema-data-gps.html)

Larry June 29th 06 12:08 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

And all
the com port settings are already done, just select port and speed.

Assuming he's using an old computer that actually still HAS a com port.
None of mine do...

Meindert Sprang June 29th 06 01:08 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

"Larry" wrote in message
That's fine. Glad you showed up to help him buy a new multiplexer...(c;

Nah....

Hyperterm won't connect if another program is using the port because it's
an active transmitter, not just a port monitor. Again, simple serial, one
talker.

That's not what I meant. If you connect a GPS to a com port and then start
hyperterminal as the one and only program using that com port, 8 out of 10
times it will complain that it cannot open the port. If you shut down or
disconnect the GPS, HT starts just fine. Very funny bug.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang June 29th 06 01:08 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

"Larry" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

And all
the com port settings are already done, just select port and speed.

Assuming he's using an old computer that actually still HAS a com port.
None of mine do...

It also works with virtual com ports, of course :-)

Meindert

Kees Verruijt June 29th 06 02:00 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

Larry wrote:
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

And all
the com port settings are already done, just select port and speed.

Assuming he's using an old computer that actually still HAS a com port.
None of mine do...

You *can* still get new computers with COM ports -- mine has _four_ (but
admittedly only three have an external DB-9 to connect a cable to; the
4th is rigged for IrDA normally).

Here's a link to the mobo I have: http://tinyurl.com/nvqvq

Pretty nifty, Pentium M, 2 x Ethernet, 4 x RS-232 (one of which can be
RS-422), 6 x USB-2, audio, video all one tiny board...

--
Kees

Ed June 29th 06 11:33 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

I just capture the garmin logs every few days. I archive them and then
when I return to the same spots, I reload them on the unit so I know
where I have been (And what was once safe water).

The garmin logs can be edited to go into a spreadsheet as well with
minimal effort.

I only know garmin...

Ed Henderson wrote:

Anyone out there know how to make a program like Excel (or whatever)
capture NEMA data from the GPS and put it into a spreadsheet or
database. What I'm trying to do is set up some kind of an auto ship's
log so that when I'm sailing the GPS will create a log for me every 15
min or 30 min or whatever. My old Nobletec nav program had that
capability but I've recently switched to Fugawi and I don't get a log
book from it. My GPS currently imputs info to my laptop and Fugawi, I
just haven't figured out if that info can be captured along the way and
utilized by another program to accomplish what I'm trying to do.
Ed

Larry June 29th 06 11:41 PM

Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

Very funny bug.

IN a very funny operating system Billy stole from some guys in a garage,
you know....