BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   line driver ic w/ built in caps ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/67930-line-driver-ic-w-built-caps.html)

purple_stars March 24th 06 03:06 PM

line driver ic w/ built in caps ?

i know there are a few folks who are great at electronics here so i
have a quick question ... does anyone know a part number or brand name,
etc, for a line driver/receiver that has built in caps ? i have a
board that needs rs-232 but i don't have room for a bunch of
capacitors, and i'm sure i read somewhere that such a chip w/ built in
caps exists. thanks!

You March 24th 06 07:02 PM

line driver ic w/ built in caps ?

In article .com,
"purple_stars" wrote:

i know there are a few folks who are great at electronics here so i
have a quick question ... does anyone know a part number or brand name,
etc, for a line driver/receiver that has built in caps ? i have a
board that needs rs-232 but i don't have room for a bunch of
capacitors, and i'm sure i read somewhere that such a chip w/ built in
caps exists. thanks!

Maxim makes a few of those.......can't recall the part numbers though...

purple_stars March 24th 06 07:28 PM

line driver ic w/ built in caps ?

hi you, thanks for the response ... you were right, i maxim max233 was
it.

Peter Bennett March 24th 06 09:17 PM

line driver ic w/ built in caps ?

On 24 Mar 2006 07:06:37 -0800, "purple_stars"
wrote:

i know there are a few folks who are great at electronics here so i
have a quick question ... does anyone know a part number or brand name,
etc, for a line driver/receiver that has built in caps ? i have a
board that needs rs-232 but i don't have room for a bunch of
capacitors, and i'm sure i read somewhere that such a chip w/ built in
caps exists. thanks!

Maxim (maxim-ic.com) has a wide selection - I think some may not need
caps.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Vic Fraenckel March 25th 06 02:14 AM

line driver ic w/ built in caps ?

Check out Maxim's MAX233. No external caps required. I have had great success with the DIP MAX232 and SMT Caps. Great space savings. I normally use size 1206 tantalum caps (12mm x 6mm) and the standard DIP16 package but am thinking of taking the plunge and use the SOIC package in mynext design for more space saving. BOth these packages can be hand soldered.

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom