BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   mounting electronics and compasses (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/67602-mounting-electronics-compasses.html)

gaffcat March 14th 06 02:00 AM

mounting electronics and compasses

In planning the electronics layout in my pilothouse it is difficult to
arrange everything and maintain reccomended distances between displays
and the magnetic compass. The manuals indicate minimum distances
usually with two figures:
distance to standard compass - .5m
distance to steering compass - .35m

What is the difference in these two types of compasses? Are the
compasses actually different or is the difference one of use. I have a
compass that I will use to steer with but it would seem to be a
standard magnetic compass.

[email protected] March 14th 06 06:07 PM

mounting electronics and compasses

The standard (mother) compass aboard of large vessels is used for
navigation and must be fully adjusted (inclusive deviation table). The
steering compass's main use is course keeping so some deviation is
accepted. On the majority of yachts both functions will be combined
in one compass.