BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Using a laptop with a Raymarine E-80? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/66977-using-laptop-raymarine-e-80-a.html)

Meindert Sprang March 2nd 06 11:51 AM

Using a laptop with a Raymarine E-80?

"luc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for that answer Meindert. It is as I suspected, and I am
somewhat annoyed that the RayMarine gadgetry doesn't automatically talk

NMEA. to other components. I thought the entire reason for NMEA
standard is to have different brand components communicating.
Raymarine has ignored that.

Well, NMEA has some limitations and manufacturers also like to bind their
customers to their system.

My Garmin has wiring that says "DSC". Can I assume that it will work
just by wiring it into my ICom VHF?

Yes. If you feed the NMEA Out from the Garmin to the VHF, it should pick up
the location info.

This stuff is fascinating, but it doesn't seem like there's much
information available about it. Do you know of any books on this
subject?

Not really. I've tried to make a web page that explains a bit about NMEA
connections and the need for multiplexers. See
www.shipmodul.com/en/nmea.html for some info.

Meindert

Bill Kearney March 2nd 06 01:25 PM

Using a laptop with a Raymarine E-80?

Did you have a look at the st60-multi? It has one nmea in and one nmea
out. It will forward almost all seatalk data on the nmea bus.
Maybe this is a alternative for you when you only want to connect your
pc to nmea.

Hmmm, interesting idea. I have no need (or room) for another display at the
helm. I'm not sure whether I'd have room for (or want) another display in
the cabin. That and the price for the ST60 is a LOT more than what a
seatalk/nmea bridge goes for! But it would provide an interesting way to
get the laptop-out signal in a situation where another display would be
handy. Thanks for the pointer!

-Bill Kearney

walle March 24th 06 12:46 PM

Using a laptop with a Raymarine E-80?

Meindert Sprang schrieb:

Then there are a few NMEA multiplexers on the market that offer Seatalk to
NMEA translation (one way): Brookhouse and ShipModul. I only know the latter
best, since I make them :-)
And if you need a reference, we also produce multiplexers for Raymarine :-)

www.brookhouseonline.com
www.shipmodul.com

.... and if you would like to be able to make Seatalk to NMEA
translation and NMEA to Seatalk Translation ( two way ), than you
either need the Raymarine Bridge, or you could have a look at
www.tklinux.de

Frank