BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Garmin to Uniden (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/64353-garmin-uniden.html)

William Andersen December 20th 05 05:12 PM

Garmin to Uniden

Has anyone wired a Garmin 198C to a Uniden M525?
There are four NMEA wires on each and I have yet to make the right
connections; I do have the wiring diagrams for each item.
The Garmin should send time and position info to the Uniden, and the Uniden
should send received DSC info to the Garmin.

Meindert Sprang December 21st 05 07:20 AM

Garmin to Uniden

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Has anyone wired a Garmin 198C to a Uniden M525?
There are four NMEA wires on each and I have yet to make the right
connections; I do have the wiring diagrams for each item.
The Garmin should send time and position info to the Uniden, and the

Uniden
should send received DSC info to the Garmin.

Would this info be of any help?
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/connections.html

Meindert

Tailgunner December 21st 05 01:06 PM

Garmin to Uniden

William Andersen wrote:
Has anyone wired a Garmin 198C to a Uniden M525?
There are four NMEA wires on each and I have yet to make the right
connections; I do have the wiring diagrams for each item.
The Garmin should send time and position info to the Uniden, and the Uniden
should send received DSC info to the Garmin.

Just so you don't feel alone, I had this same problem with a Garmin to
Icom. Never did get it working right. On the list of Winter fixes. Look
forward to seeing a solution.

Chuck Tribolet December 22nd 05 02:29 AM

Garmin to Uniden

First, make sure the GPS COM1 is in NMEA mode. Garmin, IIRC, ships their units in Garmin
mode.

Now the wiring:
GPS Blue (NMEA out+) to VHF white (NMEA in +)
GPS Brown (NMEA in +) to VHF green (NMEA out +)
Ground to VHF Yellow (NMEA in -)
Ground to VHF Orange (NMEA out -)

Doug December 29th 05 09:28 PM

Garmin to Uniden

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
First, make sure the GPS COM1 is in NMEA mode. Garmin, IIRC, ships their
units in Garmin
mode.

Now the wiring:
GPS Blue (NMEA out+) to VHF white (NMEA in +)
GPS Brown (NMEA in +) to VHF green (NMEA out +)
Ground to VHF Yellow (NMEA in -)
Ground to VHF Orange (NMEA out -)

"William Andersen" wrote in message
Has anyone wired a Garmin 198C to a Uniden M525?
There are four NMEA wires on each and I have yet to make the right
connections; I do have the wiring diagrams for each item.
The Garmin should send time and position info to the Uniden, and the
Uniden should send received DSC info to the Garmin.

I get this question about once a week with Garmin. Garmin default mode for
COM1 is the proprietary Garmin mode. It has to be menu selected to be NMEA.

Doug K7ABX

William Andersen December 29th 05 10:40 PM

Garmin to Uniden

No - it's more detail than I could comprehend. I think it only means
something to someone who already knows and understands the information. I
was hoping someone would say how to connect the four colored wires.

William Andersen December 29th 05 10:43 PM

Garmin to Uniden

Thanks.
I did set the Garmin for NMEA. But not initially. It wasn't until I got home
and remembered that my other Garmin's have to be changed from Garmin to NMEA
depending on what I'm doing with them.
(They are handhelds, and I download my tracks to my PC.)

Meindert Sprang December 29th 05 11:17 PM

Garmin to Uniden

No - it's more detail than I could comprehend. I think it only means
something to someone who already knows and understands the information. I
was hoping someone would say how to connect the four colored wires.

But the problem is that every manufacturer uses it's own color scheme. There
are no standards. The names of the terminals in the pictures are more
standard (I hope).

Meindert