BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   GPS Question (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/61815-gps-question.html)

Andy Saunders October 22nd 05 02:16 PM

GPS Question

I have some experience with GPS units in auto's. Does the marine units work
the same? Can you put a destination in the unit and it will show you the
way like the one in an auto or do you have to manually put in the waypoints
and then select each as you proceed toward a destination? I just purchased
a boat with a Garman 2006C GPS. (I haven't taken possession of the boat at
this point). Thanks.
Andy

Jack Erbes October 22nd 05 03:22 PM

GPS Question

Andy Saunders wrote:

I have some experience with GPS units in auto's. Does the marine units work
the same?

No.

Can you put a destination in the unit and it will show you the
way like the one in an auto or do you have to manually put in the waypoints
and then select each as you proceed toward a destination?

Two part question, the answers are no and yes respectively. Except that
you can create a route (a number of waypoints in a specific sequence)
and the chart plotter will help you proceed to them in that order.

I just purchased
a boat with a Garman 2006C GPS. (I haven't taken possession of the boat at
this point).

That unit "wakes up" with a basemap that will show you about where you
are but it does not have sufficient detail for navigation. That basemap
is described here, note that the description makes no mention of the
basemap having any buoys, lights, or other navaids on it.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap2006/#

The detailed charts you need for navigation have to be put on Garmin
Data Cards, those are then read by the 2006 and you get detailed
charting. The Data Cards are a proprietary storage medium, sort of like
a CF or SD memory card.

You can buy preprogrammed Data Cards with charting for a given region
(the expensive way to do it). The more economical (but complex and
technical for some) way to get charting data is to buy a Garmin
BlueChart CD with chart data, blank data cards, a data card programmer,
and load the data cards using a PC.

When you buy the BlueChart CD, data for one region of your choice can be
unlocked and used. If you want to add more regions you pay more to
unlock those.

If your boat was well equipped and being used, it may come with a data
card or two for the region where it was used. Or it may even come with
a BlueChart CD, a data card, and a Garmin Data Card programmer.

This page and the links from it will help you figure it all out, don't
feel bad if it all seems a little complicated.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap2006/#

Don't forget, you now own a hole in the water. Your key responsibility
as a boat owner is to keep throwing money into the hole to keep Garmin
and a number of other businesses and industries solvent. :)

Have fun!

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Dennis Pogson October 23rd 05 11:01 AM

GPS Question

Jack Erbes wrote:
Andy Saunders wrote:

[...]

I think my advice would be to sell the 2006C, and buy an Etrex with the
money, then use Oziexplorer on a laptop. That way, his hole in the water
will get smaller, not bigger, and his navigation setup will be infinitely
easier to use.

Dennis.

Jack Erbes October 23rd 05 04:49 PM

GPS Question

Dennis Pogson wrote:

snip
I think my advice would be to sell the 2006C, and buy an Etrex with the
money, then use Oziexplorer on a laptop. That way, his hole in the water
will get smaller, not bigger, and his navigation setup will be infinitely
easier to use.

I'm assuming his 2006C is at the helm. Having good marine grade
electronics in front of you, can add a lot to the safety and quality of
the boating experience. The necessity of buying charting comes with that.

I understand the joys of doing it more cheaply but that are always a lot
of trade offs when you do that. I have never been on a boat where I
thought that eliminating the built in electronics and replacing them
with a laptop and a handheld GPS would be a satisfactory or, in most
cases, even practical alternative.

Jack

johnhh October 23rd 05 09:47 PM

GPS Question

I strongly agree. The OP didn't say what kind of boat he has, but on a
smaller short handed sail boat, laptops just don't cut it as a primary
navigation device. Unless you go to considerable expense, they just aren't
dependable enough. By the time you get a fully rugged pc with outdoor
display and don't load anything on it but the nave software, your better off
getting a dedicated chart plotter. Especially since he already has a very
good one. Keep the laptop down below for trip planning, web surfing and all
the other things you want a computer for.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

snip

Dennis Pogson October 24th 05 09:41 AM

GPS Question

johnhh wrote:
I strongly agree. The OP didn't say what kind of boat he has, but on
a smaller short handed sail boat, laptops just don't cut it as a
primary navigation device. Unless you go to considerable expense,
they just aren't dependable enough. By the time you get a fully
rugged pc with outdoor display and don't load anything on it but the
nave software, your better off getting a dedicated chart plotter.
Especially since he already has a very good one. Keep the laptop
down below for trip planning, web surfing and all the other things
you want a computer for.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Dennis Pogson wrote:

snip
[...]

A great deal depends what type of boating he intends to do.
Round-the-world-racing would demand a different set-up to coastal pottering.
Quite honestly, for the latter, I think your own eyes and other senses are
the best form of navigation, backed up by an in-depth knowledge of
traditional chartwork.

Dennis.

Andy Saunders October 24th 05 01:08 PM

GPS Question

Thanks for your responses. The boat in question is a 44 Viking. The 2006C
is built in the console on the bridge. The debate has been to update the
present radar (in need of repair) with a new radar that is a multi-device
unit (which includes the chartplotter) (Raymarine for example) and get rid
of the 2006 or just purchase a radar itself (JRC monochrome screen) and keep
the 2006C. I have found the 2006C is a good chartplotter but you cannot add
add'l items (radar) to it like their 3006 or 3010. One dealer suggested
that I get the 3010 (including the garman radar) and utilize garman for the
package. Any opinions. The last time I owned a boat it had loran... over 10
years ago. There are more products affordable and available now.
Andy
"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
johnhh wrote:
I strongly agree. The OP didn't say what kind of boat he has, but on
a smaller short handed sail boat, laptops just don't cut it as a
primary navigation device. Unless you go to considerable expense,
they just aren't dependable enough. By the time you get a fully
rugged pc with outdoor display and don't load anything on it but the
nave software, your better off getting a dedicated chart plotter.
Especially since he already has a very good one. Keep the laptop
down below for trip planning, web surfing and all the other things
you want a computer for.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

snip

Jack Erbes October 24th 05 02:43 PM

GPS Question

Andy Saunders wrote:

Thanks for your responses. The boat in question is a 44 Viking. The 2006C
is built in the console on the bridge. The debate has been to update the
present radar (in need of repair) with a new radar that is a multi-device
unit (which includes the chartplotter) (Raymarine for example) snip

The newer displays (a Raymarine C120 I used recently immediately comes
to mind) make a combined radar/chart plotter display very practical.
They can be dimmed down for night use to where they no longer overwhelm
your night vision and ability to see out of the cockpit while using them
in darkness. And they are large enough to provide good detail on both
the radar and chart plotter when in the split screen mode.

I recently made a night arrival to Portland, ME in darkness and in party
with another boat, and was able to dim the C120 down until I was very
comfortable that I had "the big picture" and also could discern detail
out of the cockpit. I was very impressed with it.

With earlier color displays, I often had to cover up fully dimmed
displays to keep their brightness from overwhelming my ability to see
outside of the cockpit. The newer color LCD's will dim down much better.

The older monochrome LCD or CRT chart plotters and radar displays were
fine after dark as they could both be dimmed way down. But as the color
chart plotters became more common and the radar display were combined
with them, their suitability for night use became questionable to me.

I don't have any experience with the Garmin 3006 or 3010, I have heard
favorable comments about them from boat owners though. But if I were
going to buy a new radar and/or chart plotter with either separate or a
combined display I would certainly try to get a demo in a dark room or
see the display in use at night on another boat.

Most chart plotters and radar systems have built in simulator modes that
are adequate for for giving you a feel for their use. But seeing them
in daylight in a brightly lit showroom won't give you the whole picture.

I do some boat deliveries so, while I don't own one of everything, I do
get a chance to see quite a few different systems in use.

The last time I owned a boat it had loran... over 10
years ago. There are more products affordable and available now.

You'll not miss having Loran on your new boat. It is a good system and
works well enough. But GPS with a chart plotter will take up much less
of your time and give you more info. You can use that time to use your
charts, get you head up out of the cockpit, and have much better picture
of where you are and what's going on around you.

Jack

William Andersen October 25th 05 09:31 PM

GPS Question

Jack's right about LORAN. If you've got it it's OK, but LORAN can help you
navigate to the harbor, GPS can help you get to your slip.

John Proctor October 26th 05 11:45 AM

GPS Question

johnhh wrote:
I strongly agree. The OP didn't say what kind of boat he has, but on
a smaller short handed sail boat, laptops just don't cut it as a
primary navigation device. Unless you go to considerable expense,
they just aren't dependable enough. By the time you get a fully
rugged pc with outdoor display and don't load anything on it but the
nave software, your better off getting a dedicated chart plotter.
Especially since he already has a very good one. Keep the laptop
down below for trip planning, web surfing and all the other things
you want a computer for.

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Dennis Pogson wrote:

snip
[...]

I install the stuff so here goes nothing. If you can afford it go with
the E series on Raymarine the display is significantly better than the
C series. But the best display IMHO is the 10.4" Navnet 2 FURUNO. The
display is absolutely brilliant. The FURUNO uses C-Map and the
Raymarine uses Navonics. From what I've seen I would lean towards the
Navonics charting but that is personal taste.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789