BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/48785-why-one-able-hear-uhf-radio-steel-hulled-ship.html)

Terry Spragg October 5th 05 02:13 AM

Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship?

Larry wrote:

"Doug" wrote in
ink.net:

QLF Please!

I'm just please to smoke out someone who doesn't type with one finger and
make one line responses.....(c;

WTF does QLF mean?

Terry K

Larry October 5th 05 12:44 PM

Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship?

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

WTF does QLF mean?

Terry K

LF = Left Foot! QLF "Send with your left foot"/"Are you sending with your
left foot?" I have an old friend who can send 10-12 wpm with a vibroplex
between the toes of his left foot! He spent WW2 on diesel subs as chief
radioman in the Pacific. It's a learned trait...(c;

--
Larry

Jack Erbes October 5th 05 01:11 PM

Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship?

Terry Spragg wrote:

WTF does QLF mean?

QLF is not listed in ACP-131, for the most part it has no assigned,
internationally recognized, meaning.

Back in my Navy days the stock reply, when queried about an unknown Q or
Z signal, would have been "It means send a series of LIMA with FOXTROT
separators".

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Bob October 9th 05 12:17 PM

Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship?

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:11:18 -0400, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:

WTF does QLF mean?

QLF is not listed in ACP-131, for the most part it has no assigned,
internationally recognized, meaning.

Back in my Navy days the stock reply, when queried about an unknown Q or
Z signal, would have been "It means send a series of LIMA with FOXTROT
separators".

it's a joke among hams...refers to someone who's got a bad fist.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

Jack Erbes October 9th 05 12:59 PM

Bob wrote:

it's a joke among hams...refers to someone who's got a bad fist.

Oh yeah, lousy fist, that comes back to me know. Did you know that
there was a Soviet Bloc single seat fighter (post WW-II?) that had a
foot key?

Jack

Johny Looser October 10th 05 12:45 PM

Why is one able to hear an UHF radio in a steel hulled ship?

BrianR wrote:
"-Name Withheld For Security Concerns" wrote in
message ...

Hello!
Our boat has several UHF radio's that are used to communicate between
compartments. I thought the steel bulkheads would have acted as a faraday
cage and prevented any communication. Any thought on why the UHF radios
work
as well as they do?

-Thanks

Harry Tuttle

Why withhold your name for "Security Concerns", when it appears in you
E-Mail address anyway?

Maybe I'm just trying to trick you into believing my name is Harry?

-Regards Harry

Doh!!!