Lars Johansson

"Larry" wrote in message
Dave Baker wrote in
:

They didn't, but I'll bet they do now.

Naw, the locals get all excited when you leave the gigawatt radar running
at the dock. Every time the beam passes a building and all the

flourescent
lights come on on their own, it seems to upset them....(c;

--
Larry

Gigawatt radar? Thats the power of a nuclear powerstation.
Your not confusing the radar with the phasers?
/Lars J

Larry

"Lars Johansson" wrote in
:

Gigawatt radar? Thats the power of a nuclear powerstation.
Your not confusing the radar with the phasers?
/Lars J

No, many military radars operate with gigawatt (effective radiated power in
the narrow beam) power levels. I've seen them cut a seagull out of the air
at 100 yards. Stay out of the beam!

We used to have one when I was in the Navy that could easily see the Moon.
You had to pulse the display manually so the trace would keep running but
there it was....the return from the Moon...very plainly seen.

--
Larry
Doug

"Larry" wrote in message

We used to have one when I was in the Navy that could easily see the Moon.
You had to pulse the display manually so the trace would keep running but
there it was....the return from the Moon...very plainly seen.

--
Larry

The Navy used moonbounce communications back in the 70s...a dish on a
modified gun mount with a TV camera pointed at the moonlight at the
feedhorn...the gun mount moved to keep the camera on the brightest light and
the dish remained on target for moonbounce regardless of ship rolls. Off
course when the moon went below the horizon, communications ceased.
I bet Jack in Maine remembers this system.
73
Doug K7ABX

Jack Erbes

Default AIS anyone ?

Doug wrote:

The Navy used moonbounce communications back in the 70s...a dish on a
modified gun mount with a TV camera pointed at the moonlight at the
feedhorn...the gun mount moved to keep the camera on the brightest light and
the dish remained on target for moonbounce regardless of ship rolls. Off
course when the moon went below the horizon, communications ceased.
I bet Jack in Maine remembers this system.

Let's see, in the 70's I was on shore duty in The Philippines, then
Spain, and then California. Did some sea duty during those times but
don't think I ever saw that system.

Some OF THE things from the "good old days" are not as good as what we
have now. I guess nostalgia is the only thing that is as good as it
used to be.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Doug

Jack,
It was the TRSCOM system, like on the USS Libery, etc. Unaffectionately
known as Trashcom.
Doug

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug wrote:

[...]

Larry

"Doug" wrote in
ink.net:

73
Doug K7ABX

You ever work moonbounce, Doug? I used to be active as WB4THE back in the
70s with eight 12 element KLM beams with KLM power dividers and a homebrew
KW 2m linear using P-P 4CX250Bs in the plumber's special amp out of the
ARRL handbook. Worked great, better after we silver-plated the plate tank
and output plumbing. I had a great time with it.

--
Larry
Jack Erbes

Doug wrote:

Jack,
It was the TRSCOM system, like on the USS Libery, etc. Unaffectionately
known as Trashcom.
Doug

Okay, trashcom, now I remember it. I remember the later "Whiskey 3"
satcom rig too. I was out on a destroyer with a WSC-3 one time and
heard one of the experts that gathered on the fantail after the evening
meal telling all his buddies that it was finding and pointing out the
Russian spy satellites.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Lars Johansson

"Larry" wrote in message
"Lars Johansson" wrote in
:

Gigawatt radar? Thats the power of a nuclear powerstation.
Your not confusing the radar with the phasers?
/Lars J

No, many military radars operate with gigawatt (effective radiated power

in
the narrow beam) power levels. I've seen them cut a seagull out of the

air
at 100 yards. Stay out of the beam!

What is the duty cycle of such a radar?
/Lars J

Larry

"Lars Johansson" wrote in
:

What is the duty cycle of such a radar?
/Lars J

Hmm....It was an airsearch, so had quite a rapid rep rate and narrow pulse
width for good multiplane detection. I don't remember the
specifications...but it would have been quite low. I remember it was in S-
band. Power came from an Amplitron fed by a Magnetron with Thyratron
pulser. The pulse forming network was a cabinet to itself. It was quite
loud in the radar room.

--
Larry
krj

Hey Larry,
How about a missle detection radar with waveguide the size of air
conditioning ducts, klystrons changed with an overhead crane, a
capacitor bank for the pfn filling a 10' x 10' x 12' room and an antenna
larger than a football field. We had moon bounce from that one also.
krj

Larry wrote:
"Lars Johansson" wrote in
: