MazingTree

Default VHF Radio Range Problem

I suspect that my Marine VHF radio is a little lacking in range, even on the
25W setting.

It's an older style Navico, I only get about a 10 mile range out at sea,
Yacht to yacht, although I can just reach the Coast Guard from around the
Eddystone (about 15 miles to the coast) This woulnd't seem so bad, except
my brand new ICOM M31 portable gives exactly the same range, both
tramistting and receiving, and that's using it down at deck level, and at
only 5W output! whereas my Main boat VHF has an aerial on the top of the
mast.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what range I can expect yacht to yacht
on a 32 footer sailing boat with mast head antenna with 25 Watts.

I am considering purchasing the ICOM M421, do you think this is the best
bet, or could the aerial be faulty. I have checked all the deck level
connections and these seem OK.

Tips and hints welcome.

Cheers,

John

Richard

I had the same problem on my Pearson 303. I was told that the antenta wire
going up the mast had chaffed through and was shorting out. I replaced the
wire and now it works fine. It is the original radio from 1985 on the boat.

"MazingTree" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

MazingTree

Ah that's encouraging. Another reply in UK.rec.sailing (didn't see the
electronics group!) concurs with this thought. I think I shall replace the
antenna and aerial, unless I can get the Vtronix Antenna apart to replace
just the cable. Sounds worth doing first anyway.

John

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"MazingTree" wrote:

[...]

I would suspect the antenna and or coax cable in your case. Sounds like
a simple case of old tired coax, or detuned, ort failing antenna.
Here in the North Pacific, we usually are getting 50+ miles boat to
boat with 25 Watts and 10db antennas on 0ver 300 ton Coastal Freighters,
with some paths reaching out to 90+ miles. Of course your milage may
vary, as to Actual Tx Power, and Receiver Sensitivity, and Antenna
losses.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Steve Lusardi

If your boat is fiberglass or wood, make certain you have a ground plane for
the antenna. The earth connection of your transceiver needs to connect to
large matt or screen on the hull which is connected electrically with the
water. Some boat builders bond the screen into the deck. As a check, borrow
a VHF base station antenna and see if it performs correctly. If it does, you
have found your problem. Now fixing it, is another matter.
Steve

[...]

Me

In article ,
krj wrote:

Used my VHF for a 1300 nm contact today.
krj

Can you say "Troposhperic Ducting", with a straight face???

Me
krj

Me wrote:
In article ,
krj wrote:

Used my VHF for a 1300 nm contact today.
krj

Can you say "Troposhperic Ducting", with a straight face???

Me

Can you say satellite communications?
krj
Doug

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
Me wrote:
In article ,
krj wrote:

Used my VHF for a 1300 nm contact today.
krj

Can you say "Troposhperic Ducting", with a straight face???

Me

Can you say satellite communications?
krj

Twenty years ago I used a 2 meter ham handheld running 1 watt to talk from
Portland, OR to China...it was via repeaters in the pacific NW intertie and
then commercial (Boeing Aviation?) satellite link from Seattle to China and
back out on a ham repeater. I must admit it surprised me greatly at first,
but then I figured out what was going on.
Troposcatter? Ionized meteor trails? Tropoducting? Aurora bounce? All of the
these can result in long distance VHF marine communications but none last
for long or occur very often.
Tropscatter should remind Bruce in AK of the old White Alice systems up
there.

73
Doug K7ABX