Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Steve

Default Mixing old and new house batteries

My house bank currently has two ACDelco Voyager M30HMF batteries with a
reserve capacity of 115Ah each. These batteries are a couple of years
old but have only ever been lightly discharged and kept fully charged
all the time.

I would like to increase the size of the house bank but am not sure what
the implications are of mixing batteries of different ages. I understand
that different technologies cannot be mixed but I believe these are just
sealed wet cells. Does the fact that they are sealed mean I cannot use
standard wet cells? I guess the charge rate of the whole bank will be
limited by the sealed cells in this case.

What are the groups thoughts on the best options to double the size of
the house bank? I calculate that would keep me going for a 2-3 days
without having to crank the engine and never get close to the 50%
discharge point.

Am I best getting another couple of voyager batteries or should I look
at other options such as golf cart batteries?

Thanks,

Steve